Homemade Apple Pectin Question

uaskigyrl(7)May 15, 2011

Hello!

I was wondering if homemade apple pectin had to strictly be made with green apples or can I make it from the core and peels of different apples? I got a few pounds of braeburn apples in my co-op basket and since I don't really eat apples whole, I've been making applesauce and different things with the apples and have cores and peels.

Also, if I can make homemade apple pectin, do I just substitute it with the store bought pectin 1:1 in recipes?

Thanks,

uaskigyrl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

I've made apple pectin for the first time last August. From what I had read, you want unripe apples to get the best pectin. So that is what I used - unripe apples from my old apple tree.

When I get my bushels of apples in the fall, and am making tons of apple sauce, I save the peelings and cores and I make apple syrup. I follow the directions for peach honey, except I use apples, and I boil it to syrup consistency instead of honey consistency.

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions for Peach Honey

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here is a link to one of the previous discussions about this. I have never made or used it but I know from reading here about it that no, it isn't a 1:1 exchange with regular pectin. Much more of the homemade is required. How much appears to depend on the info source.

You'll find some recommendations in this discussion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use homemade pectin discussion

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™