How Long to Bloom

toryander(z4 UT)August 23, 2005

I have a hibiscus bush in a pot in my garden room. It looks to be doing really well. It has many bloom pods at the end of each stem (I'm guessing that's what they are). Every day before work I run out to have a look hoping to see blooms. More pods are appearing and some seem to be getting bigger, but no blooms. Seems like this has been going on for a couple of weeks. Am I going to see any blooms you think? It's nearing the end of August already and I live above 5000'. Sigh, seems alot of things die before they get started up here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

Is it root bound? That's one of the first things I check when one of my hibiscus isn't blooming. Either that, or it may want to be fertilized.
Barb

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 7:23PM
toryander(z4 UT)

Thanks for the input, Barb. I actually saw color starting to issue forth from one of the buds this morning. Maybe something is going to happen soon. On the other hand, now that you mention it, I don't use much fertilizer. Perhaps I will try a little more.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 1:17PM
Oliver_Shagnasty(East NC)

Don't do anything ---- you have buds ---- give them time.

Shagnasty

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 5:11AM
toryander(z4 UT)

It's blooming! Great big purple blooms. I've been waiting all summer for something to happen and was wondering if the autumn freezes would arrive before the blooms. This is my second year trying to grow hibiscus. Last year I had a small, single stem hibiscus which bloomed until I didn't water it enough. This year my potted hibiscus (I bought from the nursery) has grown into a bush. Lots of buds all over it. I don't want it to die this winter, but it's pretty big to move into the house. Can you cut these back?

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Can I plant perennial hibiscuses in NY (zone 6)?
I am wondering if I can plant perennial hibiscuses...
quilttrack47
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™