long term food storage

moonlocks(11)April 26, 2009

I can find tons of sources of bulk/dehydrated foods and long term storage supplies (55 gal drums, etc.)online, but I'm at a loss to find this stuff locally. I really don't want to pay shipping, but I cannot find any category in the yellow pages for which this sort of emergency preparedness fits. Can you help me figure out what to look under?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

If I were you I'd look for an industrial or shipping supply company. you will want to use plastic drums or steel drums with plastic liners, and don't forget the desiccant. Unless you want to buy individually packaged dried food from camping stores I expect that you will have to spring for shipping. You may be able to get your self bulk beans or wheat from a local farm or grain elevator, inquire at your local farm supply store.

The shipping typically isn't that rough on bulk items like this, and the premiums you pay for a local vendor may actually cost you more than you save. Don't forget a barrel of clean water.

Also if you buy food that is not packaged (like grain from a grain elevator) you might want to fill the container with CO2 or N2 to protect the contents. Desiccants will ward off fungus but there are insects that can make it using the carbohydrates and O2.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 7:37PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

USA Emergency is only $12 shipping no matter how much you order.
Also look for an online promo code and maybe save even more!

I had 6 superpails, a grain mill, some smaller items all shipped for $12! I don't know how they do it!!

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 3:34PM
xhappyx

My mother's friend is Mormon and they store a LOT of food. They use metal garbage cans with lids because they stated that rats and mice can eat through plastic. Just purchase some clean metal garbage cans with lids and then you can store the food inside in plastic sealed bags. They use one of those food savers which sucks the air out of the bag, and then seals them. I hope this helps some. I know you can get metal garbage cans at local hardware stores.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Drying tumeric
Hi all, I've just harvested my first batch of tumeric...
Tarientree
How high of a fence could a deer jump over?
Anybody know? I hear they can jump/climb pretty high! Thanks!...
John_Blutarsky
Where are homesteaders going these days?
I was reading through some of the older forums and...
SunnieSue
Cast Iron Cookware...Cleaning Swap Meet Findings
Yesterday I picked up several cast iron skillets from...
Willow_Summerland
Home Made Yogurt Problem
I am making yogurt in a new Cuisinart Yogurt maker...
sjm1027
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™