What is homesteading?

sewcrazynurse(MI zone 5)April 16, 2004

What is the diffrence between farming and homesteading? I have been on a around farms my life. My husband and his family farm aound 2500 acres. Mostly cash crops. I raise poultry (my first year) and we garden and I can and freeze everything in site.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Caren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

IMO:

Homesteading is independant of scale. It means producing as many of the necessaries of life as possible. Clearly this is more practicable as one's land area increases.

Farming is the production of crops or animals to sell for cash. It's often just a living. Wheat farmers, for instance, don't generally eat their own wheat even - let alone grow anything else for their own consumption. Ship the wheat away and import wonderbread. Potato farmers with Ore-Ida in the freezer. Etc, etc.

Bookmark   April 18, 2004 at 8:26AM
hannahholly

I agree that homesteading is generally thought of as providing food for yourself (to whatever degree you feel necessary) and for trying to be either independant of or less dependant upon things like public utilities, consumer products, social programs, etc. For some this means living off the land completely, like pioneers, while for others it means a compromise between providing for oneself and family and buying ready-made products and services. I think most homesteaders fall into the latter catagory. I have only a little over .5 acre here, but I manage to provide a good portion of my fruit and vegetables, all my eggs, and about half the meat I consume. I have opted to have some 'modern conveniences' like electricity, computer, pickup truck, phone, etc., but I have made some modifications of most of those. For example, my refrigerator is a small 'dorm' type, and I have a small chest freezer as opposed to a large full sized refrigerator (I used to have both a big refrigerator and freezer but got rid of the big refrigerator). I have electricity but am extremely frugal with it. I hang my laundry to dry, have no lights on during the day, heat with wood, etc. I have public water but again use it very carefully.

In other words, homesteading is trying to provide what you can for yourself and not be too dependant upon 'the system'.

Bookmark   April 24, 2004 at 12:34PM
farmerjoe(W.Mass.)

Our farm/homestead;
http://www.rocketroberts.com/farmerjoe/farmerjo.htm

Only about 1/4 shown due to 'byte'limitations.Five tractors,many implements,welders (stick,MIG,gas),plasma cutter,compressors (3),air tools,etc.Located in Western Mass.

Bookmark   July 13, 2004 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Can you make mint and citrus extracts by juicing and dehydrating?
I couldn't find any resources online but I want to...
eco-peru
clinkers
I have amaziblaze 4100 corn stove that I started burning...
DJH77
tanning fish
I have seen a few sights talking about tanning fish...
dtrade83
Where are homesteaders going these days?
I was reading through some of the older forums and...
SunnieSue
Breckwell P-24 Pellet Stove control board wires
I have a very old model P-24 Breckwell self standing...
yohdahsdaddy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™