Favorite Cauliflower Recipies Anyone?

dhromeoMay 17, 2012

Ok I have a bunch of cauliflower to eat now, and I'm going to freeze some of it, but most of my stored harvest this year is going to be from a fall crop of everything.

Does anyone have any delicious cauliflower recipies? We are starting to get tired of steamed cauliflower with cheese. I looked on food network and there's no way to sort them based on goodness and popularity. As much as everyone knows on here I figured I'd ask you all your favorite cauliflower recipies.

One of my dad's favorites is steamed whole cauliflower with spicy mustard mayonnaise and shredded cheddar spread over the top. I'll try and find the recipe here in a moment

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dhromeo

Cauliflower with Mustard Sauce (imaginative name, no?)

Steam the whole head of cauliflower for 15-20 minutes, depending on size, making sure to lift the lid and release steam 2-3 minutes in to let off sulfur compounds that may have formed.

You can also cut the head into florets for a shorter cook time and easier serving, steam them 3-6 min until tender crisp.

Sauce:
1/2 Cup mayo
2 tsp. Dry mustard, ground
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder

Mix well and spread over steamed whole head, or mix in with steamed florets. Finish with a sprinkle of shredded cheese of your choice, if you wish. to melt the cheese you can put it in a bowl and cover with saran wrap.

To serve you can cut the florets off with a spoon or knife or portion out quarters of the head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant cauliflower head

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:03PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

One of our personal favorites is Pickled Cauliflower and we add it to Pickled Mixed Vegetables too.

Below I linked a bunch of threads about cauliflower recipes from over on the Cooking forums here at GW.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Cauliflower recipes

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:55PM
jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)

Roasted. Cut it up, roll it in a bit of olive oil and roast until it's starting to brown. Flip it occasionally. Add some thinly sliced garlic and cook for a few more minutes. It can be augmented with lemon, smoked paprika, or garam masala as you see fit.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 3:27PM
mellyofthesouth(9a FL)

Another vote for roasted. Is the only way my youngest will eat it.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:36PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Boiled, mashed, then treat like mashed potatoes.
A little sour cream, butter, chives, salt and pepper!
Straight or mix with actual potatoes.

Roasted is also my favorite way.
Fresh with any variety of dips.
Awesome pickled.
Cream of cauliflower soup.

If you end up with "too much" at one time, just blanch 3 minutes and freeze in ziplocs. Decide what to do with it later. Nice problem to have!

Deanna

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:06PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

Mashed cauliflower makes a wonderful topping for Shepherd's pie.

Many low-carbers or paleo diet followers make cauli-rice. Basically chopping it in such a way to make a substitute for rice.

I like to boil it for a few minutes and then put it under the broiler with some parmesan and also find it good in a stir-fry. It is also good roasted with tomatoes and feta and mint.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 9:05PM
jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)

Cauliflower Leek Soup
1-2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
1 T butter (or more!)
1/2 c. White wine
1 Cauliflower cut into pieces
1-2 pint chicken broth
1/2 c. Sour cream
1 T Dijon mustard

Cook leeks in butter gently until soft. Add wine and raise heat to reduce by half. Add cauliflower and enough broth to cover. Cook until cauliflower is very soft. Pur�e with remaining ingredients.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™