Growing a hibiscus indoors?

reneefAugust 19, 2013

I have a 18ft high livingroom with large windows and lots of daylight and I want to grow a big and tall tree. I was thinking a hibiscus tree might work well. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of hibiscus or the type of pot and soil to use? Or any other tree that would grow well indoors? Maybe an orange tree...
I live in Ontario, Canada so the winters get really cold.
Thanks, looking forward to the responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nathan1991

Which direction do the windows face? Hibiscus really aren't trees, but rather a shrub. I would suggest something a little more tolerant of the indoor climate. Perhaps a ficus benjamina or something like that. they grow fairly quickly and despite being a common plant, when mature they make brilliant specimens.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 7:49PM
reneef

Hi! Thank you so much for the advice! Ficus would be really nice...
I was hoping to get something really unique that would grow to about 16' tall...something with alot of leaves...something that you would see and think it belongs outside...
Here is a picture of the room I'd like to put it in...

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:09PM
hermie3rd(5)

Wow! That room is really nice! I wish I had those windows! :) I think you could put a hibiscus there. While they are bushes, my mom has several (probably about 5 feet tall right now) that she has shaped into trees. It is my experience (living in MI) that my hibiscus do extremely well for me in the the winter when they are placed right by my large living room window, which faces east. Then, in spring when the danger of frost has past, I place them outside on my front porch, so they basically stay on the same side of the house all year. It doesn't look like you would have this issue from your picture, but just make sure they aren't by any heating/air ducts. Good luck! :)

BTW - I'm just a novice. I've had my hibiscus for only a few years. I'm sure many others with much more experience might have other advice for you.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:04AM
reneef

Hi hermie3rd, thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely reconsider the hibiscus....I figure there's enough room so I will try a few different plants/trees and see how they do...

Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 8:36AM
hermie3rd(5)

No problem! If I lived near my mom, I would take a picture of hers so you could see what they look like. But I would definitely consider them! If you do, please post a pic - I would love to see it in its new home. :)

Renee

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 7:19AM
tolip(Tropical)

Consider the Ficus lyrata. Should be very nice for that spot. That space is good enough for both the ficus lyrata and a smaller hibiscus.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Name that Hibiscus?
This is my favorite, but I don't have a tag; I got...
steiconi
Sponsored Products
Seaside Partytime Multi Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Modern Cinch Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Manhattan Off-white Small Storage Bench
Overstock.com
Blonde Fly to the Moon Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$27.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Sand/Walnut 2 ft. x 3
$53.97 | Home Depot
Dutch Dog Design DoggyRide Mini Stroller Conversion Set - DRMNSK02
$66.92 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Shag Finesse 15 Slate/Brown