varieties of hardy hibiscus for zone 5 and lower

mallowmallow(z8 OR)August 23, 2005

hi does anyone know what varieties of hardy hibiscus that are hardy for zone 5 and lower?

thanks much for info...pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_jj(5b Montreal QC)

Here in Quebec ( Canadian Zone 5B) I successfully overwinter H. moscheutos varieties Lord Baltimore, Lady Baltimore, Super Rose, Disco and Dixie Belle, the Luna Blush series, Plum Crazy, Fanatasia, Galazy, Kopper King, Old Yella, Anne Arundle, Sweet Caroline, Crimson Wonder and Fireball. Many of these plants are 4 years and older and have successfully overwintered. I always plant in the the spring ( and divide plants then if they were too big last year) and plant with a lot of compost. A lot of watering to settle the plant in and a HUGE layer of mulch ( 12 inches minimum) to which I add over the summer. As fall approaches, I add leaves, branches, anything else to add to the mulch pile and give a good 12 inch minimum to cover the area of ground out past the dripline of the plant. As the stalks of the plant will dry out there is no reason to build the mulch up around the plant - these plants send out new growth shoots from the root ball in the spring. Sometimes there are great deals on these plants in the autumn but I have never had any overwintering success, probably because they have not enough time to settle in and prepare for winter.

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 3:54PM
toryander(z4 UT)

Thanks for the info, Donna. I live up above 5500 ft and would love to grow some hibiscus in the ground. I didn't think there were any that could survive the winter. I have a nice bushy plant in my outdoor garden room that is just starting to bloom now. I guess I will have to move it indoors this winter and see what happens. Perhaps next year I will try one of the varieties you suggest and see if I can get some established in the ground.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 1:38PM
Carola_MN(4)

Luna Blush came through it's first winter this year and was planted in August last year. It is 3.5' high and wide this summer and blooming like crazy. I only put a few inches of leaves on it over winter but it was a mild winter for us but no snow cover. This year I will mulch more. If you have phlox blooming now just watch out for color combos, especially with the orange ones.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 9:36PM
belle_michele(zone4Minnesota)

I'm in zone 4 and I've found the 'bigger' the hibiscus/plant/roots are when planted, the more likely they will survive. I've gotten the tiny ones and they seem to only have a 50-50 chance of surviving winter, no matter how well mulched or how healthy they were going into fall/winter. If you can find the two gallon, potted hardy hibiscus with the stems about as thick as your finger-the better the chance it will make it through the winter.
**Just be patient come spring!!! Depending how warm/chilly your spring is, they may not make an appearance until late May or even June-don't be too quick to think they are dead and shovel prune them**

Bookmark   September 9, 2005 at 2:13PM
espolady(4)

**Just be patient come spring!!! Depending how warm/chilly your spring is, they may not make an appearance until late May or even June-don't be too quick to think they are dead and shovel prune them**

Very true according to a man at a nursery I got mine from. He said many people come back in saying theirs didn't come back and warned me to label them well so I know where they are because they won't start growing until the soil is warm and here in Iowa that's not until mid to end of May.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
Project time
finally decided to pull the trigger and build a little...
merkity
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™