Drying spicy globe basil

jennieboyer(8)May 10, 2013

Hi - I'm looking for advice on drying spicy globe basil. I have never grown this basil before and looking to preserve some of it. Is there another/better way than drying? I'm not interested in putting it in olive oil, but open to other ideas than that.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

That depends on how long you wish to save the leaves. They would last over a month just by putting them into a ziplock bag and press the air out. If you want to do them longer the freeze them in ice cubes and place them in a ziplock bag.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 12:06AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Like Wally said, dryed basil will lose its aroma(thus flavor) very fast. Some people make pesto out of it and freez it.
I have experimented a different method. Just slightly air dry whole stem( while still soft). Then put them air tight zip bags and keep in freeze. So when defrosted there is some freshness and flavor to it.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:08AM
wally_1936(8b)

If you need to save it for a longer period of time drying it some will kill the enzymes and prevent grown that would change the favor. For using it within a couple months I would not even bother. If you are going for a long period of time then drying would be fine.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Anyone here who grows Nepeta?
I want to grow Nepeta but not Nepeta Cataria (catnip)....
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™