Can refrigerator pickles be canned?

jennieboyer(8)May 21, 2012

Hi - Can a recipe for refrigerator pickles (hot or cold pack straight to refrigerator) be canned? I'd like to make a bigger batch for preserving. Can I just follow the same recipe and BWB can them? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

It's hard to generalize without looking at a specific recipe, but speaking generally the answer is No.

Refrigerator pickles frequently have a lower ratio of vinegar to water and would not be safely shelf-stable if canned.

In fact, some refrigerator pickle recipes have been pulled by Extension agencies because even with refrigeration there was the risk of listeria.

With the many many safe-canning recipes available, there's no benefit in canning one designed for refrigeration. Beyond that, if refrigerating a recipe, be sure that it's one that follows current guidelines.

Carol

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with Carol. Many of the old 'family recipes' for fridge pickles are no longer considered safe because of listeria - a bacteria no one knew about in Grandma's and Mama's day - so make sure you are using a safe recipe.

And I don't think you would like the effect processing would have on most fridge pickle recipes even it is was safe to do so. It tends to make them go soft or mushy.

Dave

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™