BWB for Pomona Pectin jams

kristineca(z10 CA (Coast))May 10, 2011

Greetings. I had set out to make two different Ferber strawberry jam recipes. I finished one yesterday and found it too sweet for my taste. And not worth all the hassle. So I changed plans and converted the rest of the prepared fruit into a low sugar jam made with Pomona Pectin. The flavor is fine, but I'm not that keen on the Pomona textures, but I knew that before making it.

I put the jam into mostly 1/2 pint jars with lids and rings but wasn't planning on a water bath. Then realized it was low sugar, so thought I would freeze it. Then realized that there probably isn't enough head room in those jars for freezing. Then thought maybe I better give it a BWB.

Is it too late for a BWB? The jam is a few hours old and still warm. Will a BWB break the set at this point? If it's too late or risky for the BWB, is the best bet to transfer the jam to freezer containers with sufficient head room? Thanks! Kristine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I'd freeze it. But since there's no need for a true seal, scoop a bit out of each jar and replace the lid.
Freeze.

Deanna

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 8:09PM
kristineca(z10 CA (Coast))

Thanks for your reply. Freezing is what I did. I just came from the kitchen, having wrapped up the Strawberry Jam 2001 Debacle. I ended up opening the jars from both the Pomona batch the Ferber batch and mixed them all together in a bowl. It improved the texture and taste of both batches. The Pomona produces jam I always think of as a little too gelatin-ey for my taste. And the Ferber was too sweet. So it was a gain to mix them. I put it up into jars and plastic containers with enough head room and it's in the freezer.

Now, for some good ideas how to use it. My husband is the only one who likes strawberry jam. So I'm going to need to bake with it or make ice cream or something.....

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 8:26PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Bar cookies maybe??? Layer of oatmeal/cookie dough, layer of jam, another layer of oatmeal dough and bake.

I need to do the same with my excess of jams in the cupboard.

Deanna

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:15AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Do you have the California Gold Bars recipe? My neighbor turned me to it, she had made them for her husband for years and years. Good as written with the apricot, but I use whatever jam or jelly I have on hand, particularly like them with cherry preserves - your strawberry fan husband should like them with your strawberry spread...

Here is a link that might be useful: California Gold Bars

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 4:08AM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

That looks like a quick and easy bar recipe. I'll give it a try! Thanks for posting.

Deanna

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
storing leeks
This has been our second year vegetable gardening....
marricgardens
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Pickled beets from store canned beets
I want to can some pickled beets using canned beets...
peanutone
Sponsored Products
3D Faux Bear Head - BWB30-OAK
$130.99 | Hayneedle
3D Faux Moose Head - BWB95-MPL
$130.99 | Hayneedle
3D Faux Deer Head - BWB47-MPL
$103.98 | Hayneedle
Powell Street Black One-Light Pendant with Gloss Black and White Shade
$561.80 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™