Deer Fencing - New 8' or Interior 4'

beartoothwebMay 19, 2014

I have about 4.5 acres we want to enclose (tired of feeding the deer our home and garden materials (aspen, pine, everything else). I want to enclose the whole property.

I already have a 4' wire fence around the whole place, other than the driveway entrance. I know I need to install some sort of gate for that of 8'.

I've read that 8' is minimum for white tail (we have those and mule deer), but in some cases, 2 fences of 4' that are 3-4' apart will act as a deterrant equally. This would be a cheaper and easier option I think, so I'm exploring it.

I'm planning on doing the black poly fencing with t-posts. I could do 5'-6' posts and 5' fencing a few feet inside the current fence, or just do 10' T posts and 8' fence.

Any experience on this procedure? The area in question is in the field for the most part, so mowing isn't a problem, just trying to make the best decision. I'd like for it to be economical (as possible), and also be somewhat transparent.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hippy

Wise choice would be spend the money now for an 8' fence. Instead of wishing you had later. Deer are wise and will soon learn that it only takes two hops instead of one to get onto your property.

I use to have a video of some deer that would turn completely sideways in mid flight and go through two strands of barb wire on a barbed wire fence.

Bookmark   January 31, 2015 at 12:50AM
More Discussions
My new homestead!
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and currently...
ohiohomestead
Rats
I have never had rats but I guess onto every farm a...
Kacee
Cast Iron Cookware...Cleaning Swap Meet Findings
Yesterday I picked up several cast iron skillets from...
Willow_Summerland
Home Made Yogurt Problem
I am making yogurt in a new Cuisinart Yogurt maker...
sjm1027
Breckwell P-24 Pellet Stove control board wires
I have a very old model P-24 Breckwell self standing...
yohdahsdaddy
Sponsored Products
Sure-Loc Vintage Bronze Front Entrance Handleset (Lever/knob interior trim optio
Overstock.com
Fiona Stone Pattern Champagne Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Positano Upholstery Fabric in Currant
$55.00 | FabricSeen
David Trubridge Design | Bounce Pendant Light
YLighting
AF Lighting Star Flower 7046-5H Pendant - 7046-5H
$238.00 | Hayneedle
3' x 6' Treated Pine 1/2 Picket Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Darya Rugs Modern, Brown, 8'2" x 9'9" M1746-65