Digging Large hibiscus (rose of sharon) out of the ground HELP

rehabbingisgreenAugust 1, 2010

OK I am still debating what to do with the three rose of sharon trees that exist in the front yard. One is about 12 feet and has maybe 6 good sized trunks.

Has anyone had any experience digging such a size and any idea how large a root ball might be?

I can't really get a backhoe in there for a few reasons and I want to know if I decide to take them out if I really can. I have a couple bushes I'm currently trying to kill but it isn't happening.

I have seedlings everywhere to the point it's becoming stressful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

If you want to have your ROS somewhere else in the garden, I find that it is easy to make cuttings. These could be planted where you want them to be. Then you could remove the original troublesome bush. IF you want to kill it, there are some herbicides out there that will certainly take care of it. Round up works wonders on killing the plant, as does straight javex.

When I was young, I recall my dad wanted to have the city remove a dying maple tree from the city boulevard, and they refused because it was not dead enough. A few copper nails worked wonders, and the next year they removed a completely dead tree, as he smiled from inside the house.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
help with hibiscus
My hibiscus blooms all winter inside. When I take...
marthavm
Epsom Salt or Vinegar to help Blooms
Which one is better suited to encourage blooming?
bradley787
A very nice "weed"
This one grows as a weed at my place, in that it self...
tropicbreezent
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Hibiscus in Spanish
Can anyone tell me what the Spanish name is for a hibiscus...
jardinerafloridana
Sponsored Products
Nine-Slice Silicone Cake Pan
$14.99 | zulily
Purle Cosmo Transforming Cosmetic Bag
$19.99 | zulily
Centrifuga Pendant Light
$219.99 | Dot & Bo
The Young Scientists Club The Magic School Bus Back in Time with the Dinosaurs M
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Wam Bam Premium Yard and Pool Vinyl Fence Panel with Post and Cap - 4 ft. Multic
$94.99 | Hayneedle
Calligaris 31.5-Inch Jam Bar Stool - CS/1034_P77_P796
$321.30 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™