2nd yr tropical not blooming???

mbhoneybee63(5)August 6, 2011

I live in Ohio zone 5 and bought a yellow tropical hibiscus last year while in bloom. I repotted it into a larger pot and brought it inside over the winter. Eventually it lost it leaves and looked like a bunch of sticks...but began growing leaves quite nice in late winter/early spring. When the weather warmed up I put it outside and it has turned out to be a 3-3 1/2 foot very lush foilage plant. No flowers or anything showing that it is setting any buds. I have used bloom booster fertilizer on it once a month or so. It is in a mostly sunny place in the yard (potted). Decided not to put it in direct sun since it is in a pot and was't sure if I could keep it sufficently waterd. Any advice as to why it has not bloomed? What should I have done differently?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMaji

The abnormal heat wave maybe to blame. Down here in the South, the hibs stop or reduce blooming during the hottest part of summer. I think you should get some high potassium fertilizer and apply it to the hibs following the fertilizer manufacturer's recommendations. Nothing better than Potash to help hibs bloom.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbhoneybee63(5)

Thanks AMaji...it has been quite hot this summer. Reminds me of the 10 yrs I lived in Florida. Unfortunatley though I know it won't be too long before I am complaining about snow!

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Project time
finally decided to pull the trigger and build a little...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™