Can you help me ?

hank2230(z5 Canton, Ohio)August 31, 2009

I have a dozen perennial hibiscus about 2 years old now. I got them from someone gave me some roots or starters.

Now my question:

The flowers are now begining to fall off and the place where the flower was now has a football shaped "nodule" about as big as my thumbs first knuckle. From what I am reading these nodules should turn brown and then open up. Mine are very green and not getting brown but they are opening and I can never find any seeds under the plants.

I have tied plastic bags around several of these nodules, and hopefully may catch some seeds when the nodule bursts. I have opened up some of the large ones still attached to the plants and there are about 6-10 little white balls which I assume is the seed.

Can anyone advise me as to why the nodules open with no warning. Thank you very much for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sb91710

they will gradually turn brown then open. if they are still green then they arent matured yet. i wouldnt put a plastic bag around them. Use cheese cloth. But you should have plenty on your plant that u will have enough to get them as they mature. it takes about 6-8 weeks for a pod to mature after its been pollinated. some longer.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hank2230(z5 Canton, Ohio)

Thanks sb91, I am new to hibiscus and was afraid I would not get any seeds. About a week ago I took about 20 pods and saved them in an open air container, the pods and the seeds have turned black and I now agree with you, the pods on the trees/bushes are still growing so I may have lots of seeds. Thanks. hank2230

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Hibiscus in Spanish
Can anyone tell me what the Spanish name is for a hibiscus...
jardinerafloridana
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™