trouble keeping pump primed

marshallmellomanJune 25, 2007

Hi I am new to the forum . Maybe someone here can help my thirtsty plants !

I 've got a creek in my backyard and have water rights to it. I bought an older working ac water pump from a neighbor and have installed a junction box down by the water. I have a hose running into the creek with a foot valve and a hose running to the garden. There is no pressurized strorage tank. The pump takes forever to prime and then in will work continuously until I shut it off and then the pump will not stay primed. The next time I use it I have to prime it all over again. The foot valve get's sediment from the creek in it sometimes and I have tried putting a stocking over it to reduce this, but am not shure this is the only problem. Any tips appreciated !

Thanks,

Kenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaybc

First, get the pump serviced. Often the seals, gaskets and impeller ( or diaphram) are worn and so the pump will not hold prime. Servicing a pump can be done by yourself with a kit, for a few bucks, ( $25 - $50), or done by a professional for a few more bucks, ($50-$100).

Using a poly mesh filter from a hot air furnace, wrap the foot valve with this, secure with zip ties and use this as a pre-filter. Weight the foot valve and suspend it off a float, so it is not sucking sediment off the bottom, or use rigid PVC plumbing to suspend the foot valve off the bottom.

Make sure there are no leaks in the garden hose or fittings on the supply side of the pump, or better yet, spend the money and use a good quality soft or rigid PVC supply line.

Make sure that if there is a priming stack for the pump, that it is well sealed with no air leaks, including the cap. If the pump is self priming, install a t-junction in the supply side plumbing, with a stack and sealed cap, that lets you quickly prime the supply line.

Usually, the self priming feature of a pump, accellerates impeller wear.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Where is the best place to buy farm land?
I'm currently somewhat young and I live in a former...
mike758
First step to homesteading
Hello Everyone, I was browsing through Youtube watching...
kesaber
Did I ruin my sheepskin rug?
I got a sheepskin rug at the farmer's market a while...
peachymomo
Can you make mint and citrus extracts by juicing and dehydrating?
I couldn't find any resources online but I want to...
eco-peru
tanning fish
I have seen a few sights talking about tanning fish...
dtrade83
Sponsored Products
Double the Blessings Twins Baby Gift Basket-Personalized - DBTGB-1BOYAND1GIRL
$163.99 | Hayneedle
Remer by Nameeks 3112P Handheld Shower Head - REMER 3112P
$18.00 | Hayneedle
Calphalon Simply Enamel Nonstick 8 in. Covered Omelette Pan - 1756544
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Cape Cod Wind Direction Indicator - CCWD
$199.98 | Hayneedle
23" Black Granite Bathroom Vessel Sink - PEGASUS SHADOW
Living'ROC
Penn Plax Cat Activity Lounging Tower and Tunnel with Retreat Hide-Away - CATF18
$115.05 | Hayneedle
Maxi Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door - 1210HPW
$109.99 | Hayneedle
The Caldwell Stackable Horizontal Bookcase - LFY075
$149.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™