Planting Tropicals

sebastian(8-9)August 25, 2005

Which tropical hibiscus survive in the ground. I live near Galveston, Texas, but it still have an occasional frost. We also have temperature drops below freezing.

I know that El Capitalito does fairly well. Any others?

Thanks,

Barbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

First off: Great name Barbie!
I was always under the impression that they wouldn't survive temps like that and we have similar winter weather as y'all. I have been tempted to find out for sure though. Problem is, I don't have enough big ones to "sacrifice" one in this way. ;)
Your El Capitalito survives? I always assumed it had the same temp requirements as other tropicals.
Barbie

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 6:34PM
bruggirl100(z9 FL)

The word "tropical" should tell you something. Tropicals will not survive freezing temps. They get damage at anything below 40 degrees. I'd suggest growing them in pots and moving them in in the winter, or using Rose of Sharon, which is hardy in your area.

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 3:12PM
nomad_no_more(9B Gulf CoastTX)

Barbie, a number of tropicals (including Hibiscus rosa-sinensis cultivars) are long lasting along the Texas Gulf coast, but it depends on how close to the coast you are and your particular microclimate.

For example, according to the USDA my community is in zone 9a but the "official" reporting station is 8 miles further inland on a coastal prairie. We have more moderate weather than that station reports because of closer proximity to the Gulf and a "bottomland trees" ecology. Then add the mini microclimates around a property (south walls, under trees, etc) and that can push the zone to 10a cusp.

You might want to attend the Galveston County Master Gardener plant sale on 24 September, 9-3, at Clear Lake United Methodist Church 16335 El Camino Real in Clear Lake. You'll be able to talk to gardeners from your specific area and get their recommendations.

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™