Tropical Hibiscus Root Rot

tsmith2579(7B)September 2, 2006

Every autumn I put my tropical hibiscus in the greenhouse for the winter. By Spring, I have lost one or two plants due to root rot. Some plants like lots of water and others like little water. It is hard to water them indivually in the crowded greenhouse. Can anyone recommend an anti-fungal root treatment which will help prevent root rot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

No treatment can stop root rot if the conditions for the problem exist.

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 1:52AM
bfern

i just learned this recently in preventing fungus and root rot in cuttings being grown in oasis cubes. add one tablesppon of bleach to water and drench the cubes at least once a week. alternate with 50/50 peroxide solution.
also was told that if a potted plant appears to be wilting and the soil is wet, may be root rot so dunk the entire pot in the bleach solution for a few minutes to kill the fungus and then let it run out. many plants have been salvaged this way.
hope this helps.
fern

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 3:57AM
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

I did the bleach treatment on one of my hibiscus that got rot so bad, it lost all it's leaves and took about 3 months to start growing them again. It did work, the plant is recovering nicely.
Barb

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 9:44AM
tsmith2579(7B)

I've used the bleach in the past to treat for root rot. I hoped there was a better solution, perhaps a product made just for this purpose. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 11:56PM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

Root rot in my opinion usually means lack of drainage, compacted, or low quality soil. A free draining, airy mix doesn't hold excess water around cold, slow responding roots and keeps plants happier no matter what time of year.

I may have to water more frequently than others during our hot summers, but I don't loose plants to rot even this time of year with cool nights and frequent rains.

randy

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Epsom Salt or Vinegar to help Blooms
Which one is better suited to encourage blooming?
bradley787
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™