My 1st hardy Hibiscus 'Fireball'

lil_rhody(z6b RI coast)September 13, 2004

This is my 1st hardy Hibiscus. Is there any special attention it needs that I should know about (Fall/Spring pruning, fertilizing, etc...?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lil_rhody(z6b RI coast)

bump!

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 10:21AM
silverdollar(z8 La)

This site helps me alot:

http://www.strictlyhibiscus.com/care.html

Best of luck to you!

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 11:38AM
donna_jj(5b Montreal QC)

My hardy hibiscuses all seem to survive fairly well with a minimum of fuss. Spring is the time to remove the extra mulch put on in the fall trim the dead stalks of last year's growth, trim them right to the ground. Top dress with compost, and water well. Once the days get warmer and you see the new shoots emerging, there is not much that needs to be done except watering, mulching and staking the plant if it is of the long and tall type (Lord Baltimore is like this). Once the flowers are done in the late summer, I top dress with more compost and whatever is handy tocover it to 12-24 inches over the winter. I use branches, cedar bark mulch, raked leaves, anthing to give it a nice thick mulch cushion over the winter, and so far, so good. I have over l0 different hardy hibiscuses that survive well this way. I hope your Fireball is doing well - I have finally found a Canadian source for it and will be getting one in May - Yipee!

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 8:17PM
dragonfly_(5)

I have had Hardy Hibiscus for years. I just tried to divide as it was getting a litte to large for the area I had it in. No such luck, it was so dense. How do you divide? I just moved it as is. I must say this is the easiest plant and very large beautiful blooms each year.

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™