Basil with small dry brown spots on leaves

Gardener103May 31, 2013

Hello. I am not a very experienced gardener , so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My basil plants , which are about 6 - 7 inches in height , but still young , have begun to develop small , round , dry spots on the leaves. Not all of the plants are affected , and not all of the leaves are either. It seems to happen on the more bigger , slightly yellow leaves.

I don't know for sure if I water them to much. I typically try to water them every 2 days , and here in Columbia , MD it's pretty hot and sunny,

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jamin724

I am new to gardening myself and my basil was doing the same. I live in RI and watered every 2-3 days and it looked like I was leaving them in the sun to long but was told I was watering them to much. (Honestly I dk how people can tell.) What I did though and it has improved my plants a little is water every 2-3 days depending on the heat and I started putting them in areas where they had full sun for only 6-9 hrs a day. Once they bulked up a little I put them in brighter spots. This did not fix the problem completely but it did help a lot. Hope it helps you.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 1:55PM
Gardener103

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can move them out of direct sunlight and water them a little less.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 6:19PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

coll temps are basil killers. I am having a problem with it.
Up until last Thursday we had a lot of cold nights(41F to 44F) Two of my nursery bought seedling are almost dead. The ones planted out side from seeds (long time ago) although have not died(because they have been REALLY hardened off) but just sat there. Watering is just an excuse. If the soil has normal drainage, excess watering will not cause major damage.
There goes my 5 bucks, for not paying attention.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 5:11AM
More Discussions
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
Need help with basil and other herbs
I am trying to grow herbs and I live in India. Firstly,...
zenovia_p
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™