when to prune the gardenia

natives_and_veggies(10b)June 9, 2012

Any advice? I'm basically working on my mother's and grandmother's wisdom when it comes to woody stemmed flowering bushes - only prune them immediately after they bloom because they set buds in the stems early. But that is basically azalea wisdom. And I'm not sure it applies to gardenias.

Mine is very happy (it gets lots of coffee grounds and no other care.) It's getting a little leggy, so I want to cut it back a bit, hoping to encourage more bushy growth. Now that it's pretty much done blooming (but sent out a couple late blooms this week) am I safe to prune it a little?

gardenia people - please weigh in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

FWIW, we have a gardenia in the common area here that gets attacked monthly by the Texas chainsaw massacre every time they come around and it still blooms as regularly as it did when the woman who planted it was alive to shoo them away.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natives_and_veggies(10b)

that's good info writersblock! I'm thinking I'm babying this baby too much. Maybe it's time to start hacking a little bit.
It was a problem child, and I almost gave up on it at one point, when the bugs were trying to kill it. So I cut it down - but couldn't completely kill it. I cut it just above the graft and left it to its own devices to grow back.
And it came back better than ever - so much better than it was originally. I think it needed time to establish roots without having to concentrate on leaves and blooms. And I think it needed coffee grounds. It gets a lot of coffee grounds now. And it shrugs off bugs.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
Plant ID
Hi everyone, I have this "mystery" plant...
bellagirl0614
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Sponsored Products
New Antiqued Red & Ivory Kazak 3x5 Veg Dyed Hand Knotted Persian Wool Rug H3456
BH Sun Inc
POLYWOOD Shell Back Chaise Lounge
Fifthroom.com
Black Nickel Floor Lamps: Senator 71 in. Black Nickel Floor Lamp 5130-01
Home Depot
15" x 72" Runner
$42.90 | Horchow
Blue 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com