Basil Transplant

bdodd444(Z7 No Virginia)May 19, 2008

I have a basil transplant question. I seem to remember that you should bury part of the stem (like with tomatos) when you transplant to give it a stronger root area. I can't find this anywhere. Is this correct? Part 2: I have some small transplants that are already getting woody, is this from too much water, we have had a lot of rain. Thanks.

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

I always transplant basil to the same level as it was originally. Unlike tomatoes, it is actually a woody shrub, so of course, as the stems age, they'll harden up. It's only the new growth which is soft.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 6:02PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Yes it can take root. I Broke half a plant off at about 10 inches in length, and stuffed the broken end in wet soil. It wilted a bit, then took hold and did quite well, but took almost a month. Pepper plants can also be planted deeper too.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 8:26PM
gbaschwitz_gmail_com

I have basil and parsley in large container outside. Should I bring them in for the winter?

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 10:58AM
lgteacher(SCal)

Basil will definitely die if left outside in the winter. It even dies outside in winter here in California. Parsley, I'm not so sure about. Basil is considered an annual, so you might have to plan on planting some more in the spring. I've had parsley last 2 years before it got too woody and had to be replaced.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 11:59PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Parsley survives my winters in the ground and I'm in Western NY State, but it is not really usable beyond the first year. It often dies/bolts early in the season of the second year. Use it up before the killing frosts and don't worry about bringing it indoors. Start with new parsley next year.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Starting & Growing Mandrake
Hello! So, I was lucky enough to receive 5 Mandrake,...
stardrifting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™