Hello Up North I need help

mikeandbarb(z8 D/FW)September 14, 2005

I have a friend up north in Ma. and she needs to know how to care for a hibiscus, below is the questions she has emailed me. Hope you can help her out. BTW I know the ones I have here in Texas die back and return in the spring but I don't know of any hibiscus that don't die back where you have to cut the limbs to the ground other then rose of sharons.

(I am wondering about my Hybiscus, Don't know if it will make it through the winter. How can I find out? I don't have the tag for it, so I do not know what kind it is. The one I am talking about is the Topiary one. It was a lot of money wouldn't want it to go to waste. I love it, it bloomed all summer and it still has several blooms on it. I have other Hibiscus and the garden center said they would weather the winter. Someone said to put it in the garage. It is in a huge pot so I can move it easily.

I have never done that before. Do you water plants that you put in your garage or cellar or leave them alone??????? the other option is to bring it inside but it would have to go in a room that faces East and the window is not that big. Help!!!!!!!!!)

Also I'll ask her to send me a pix so it might be id.

TIA, Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikeandbarb(z8 D/FW)

Here is the picture of the hibiscus

Bookmark   September 14, 2005 at 9:25PM
rjj1(Norman OK Zone7)

This is a tropical that will not survive in Ma. if left outdoors. I have no experience keeping them in a cellar. A dark garage that will freeze is not a safe option.

That's a bad photo to try and id with. Photos are best when taken on a cloudy day or when the plant is in the shade. It "might" be painted lady. Look at Mrbrownthumbs post on when people do dumb things.

randy

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 1:43PM
bruggirl100(z9 FL)

Definitely needs to be kept indoors for winter. It will get damage under 40 degrees, and will die if kept at freezing for 5 hours or longer. But that one looks like Seminole Pink, which is a little tougher than most, so it should survive indoors through the winter. Look out for spider mites when you have it indoors. They thrive in the hot, dry air. If you sit it on a tray of pebbles and keep water in it not quite up to the pot, it should be o.k. If it gets spider mites, you can use Orthenex on it, or just put it into the shower and wash them off.

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Hardy Hibiscus Seed
I see many sellers on Ebay selling hardy hibiscus seeds,...
Betty Levar
Jumbo Hibuscus
My potted jumbo hibiscuses are coming out of hibernation....
hawkeye38
A very nice "weed"
This one grows as a weed at my place, in that it self...
tropicbreezent
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Sponsored Products
Shower Curtain Artistic - Plenty of Fish in the Sea I
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Dura-Trel Providence 6.25-ft. Vinyl Wall Trellis - Mocha - 11177M
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Pear Lotus Floor Lamp
Lightology
Pink Princess Dream Wool Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Teak Wood Round Shower Mat - 30" Diameter
Signature Hardware