Pickling and freezing corn

ldj1002(8b)May 22, 2012

Made some pickles today and run out of jars. I used some jars that salsa came in. I always heard not safe to use them. I am going to refrigerate them and use now so not keeping long term. When jars were cooling the tops on the salsa jars popped down. Since they popped down wouldn't they keep just as good as the canning jars with new seals? Looks like when that top pops it has to have a seal.

Comments??

How long can you keep corn froze in the shuck?

I have froze it and kept for a short while, then microwave right in the shuck. It is great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Pickles: You still need to refrigerate them. Often the "seal" will pop down but if you haven't processed them in BWB canner you haven't evacuated the air. It's a weak seal and they are not shelf stable. Use up first.

Corn: I've eaten corn frozen in the husks up to a year later. As long as it isn't freezer burnt (and they usually aren't due to the husk), it's fine. Best quality will be within 6 months, but it's still OK to eat.

Deanna

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:21AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree that it isn't safe to use them for shelf storage. The seals will not hold for long and air is left inside the jar which can lead to contamination developing. Plus salsa is eaten fresh from the jar with no further cooking so any bacteria gets eaten. Fridge storing only.

Corn is safe to eat, it just declines in taste and texture.

Dave

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:18AM
ldj1002(8b)

When you freeze the corn in shucks, did you wrap it or put it in anything? My thinking is with the shuck on that is already wrapped.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™