How many flowers on a lavender stem?

nancedar(z7NC)May 26, 2011

Several baking/canning sites say to strip the flowers from 12 lavender stems. OK, I bought culinary organic flowers on-line (sans stems), so just how many are there on a stem? By weight, by cup, tablespoon, what?

Several of my farmers market customers have asked if I would make Lavender Jelly, and, til now, have said, "No.". But the Atlantic Spice Company offered the flowers very inexpensively when I ordered a ton of other spices in bulk. Not being a fan of lavender in any form (wrong smeller, I guess), I have no idea how to determine what that jelly should taste like, but I have a dear friend who is crazy about lavender who has offered to be the taste tester. Still, how many is there per stem - overload is really possible, I think. Help, please.

I would suppose that a neutral apple jelly would be the best vehicle, but, suggestions are always welcomed from my esteemed fellow jelly/jam preparers.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

From a Google search on it I got 8-12 as the average and many pictures of a stem in bloom and lots of videos about how to use it. Good old Google!

Found several references about "to taste" which doesn't help I know but LOTS of info on avoiding using too much as it "makes it taste like perfume" and repeated references to "just a hint" of flavor as the goal.

Sounds like your taste tester has work cut out for her. :)

Dave

PS: also ran across this Lavender Jelly recipe which specifies amount of flowers. Might be a good starting point.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make lavender jelly

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oukay

As far as recipes go, try the peach lavender jam in Ashley English's book, "Canning and Preserving". I made three batches of it last summer and everyone loves it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™