Canning Potatoes

westmontcoMay 20, 2011

I posted a question on potato storage and got some response. Thanks!) The problem is that we'll probably never have optimal potato storage (cool and dry) due to the heater being in the basement and it being an old house with a somewhat damp basement.

So, just in case, we are planning on canning some of this coming year's potatoes.

I tried searching GW and couldn't find anything which helps tell me which ones are better for canning. Here's what's planted. Anyone know which are the better ones for canning?

Pontiac (red)

Norland (red)

Keuka Gold

Yukon Gold

Eva (white)

Kennebec (white)

Generic all-purpose white from the local market which seems to do really well here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westmontco

Oh, and I did see references in several threads to using Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) to help keep them from getting too soft. I'm pretty sure that's easy to locate here.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:09PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I assume you know that all the varieties may be canned. It is just that some varieties hold up better to the processing. The white varieties are the most commonly canned varieties. Reds next although they do tend to get softer than whites.

The golds can ok IMO but some don't care for the resulting quality. Alot of it all depends on how you plant to use them later. ie: any of them can easily be turned into mashed potatoes but some varieties (reds & golds) would make mushy potato salad.

And yes, Pickle Crisp does make a difference. The instructions on the container call for 1/4 tsp. per quart, 1/8 tsp. per pint. I use less, no more than 1/8 tsp. per quart.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Potatoes

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 10:19AM
westmontco

Yes, I know all varietes can be canned, but I guess we'd be looking to use for potato salad or soups/stews or to be fried for home fries. So ones that will keep their shape pretty well when canned.

Thanks for letting me know the gold get pretty soft.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™