'Red Shield'hardy?

bigred(z8 Ark.)October 10, 2005

I finally id'ed plant sent to me as bonus and labeled morning glory bush/tree as hibiscus "Red Shield". Depending on which webpage you pick,it's an annual or tender perennial. Of course,silly me planted it out and it got HUGE so now I don't know whether to leave it standing,dig it up or take cuttings. It hasn't bloomed so I can't save seeds.

HELP! What to do..what to do?!!

PP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruggirl100(z9 FL)

It's only perennial in zones 10-11. I'm in zone 9b, and it's a tossup with mine. Sometimes they can make it through a mild winter, but if we have a freeze, they're goners. They grow very quickly from seed, though, so save some for next year and plant in early spring, about March in your zone.

They usually bloom later in the fall. Mine are just starting to look like they will set buds, so yours should be blooming soon. They will grow from cuttings, but I'm afraid they don't root well in the fall. No harm in trying, though You can try cutting it back and putting it in a pot, but I don't know if that would save it or not. Mine didn't like being transplanted, and died anyway.

Did you know the leaves are edible? They taste sort of like cranberry flavored sorrel.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 6:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigred(z8 Ark.)

bruggirl,
Thanks for info.
I don't see any buds on it so it'll probably get knock down by frost before it has time to flower. I took cuttings yesterday,put them in a glass of water in the kitchen window. The plant hasn't been in the ground long so I'm going to try and dig it out,getting the biggest rootball possible.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

PP

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
What variety (or color) shall I be?
Well, my mystery hibiscus from Logee's that was of...
dbarron
Searching for Hibiscus Bloom Holder
I'm looking for a glass tabletop "vase" designed...
mspam
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Jumbo Hibuscus
My potted jumbo hibiscuses are coming out of hibernation....
hawkeye38
Sponsored Products
NFL Tailgate Toss XL Cornhole Set - TTXLN-NFL100
$142.50 | Hayneedle
Heritage Red and Gold Round: 6 Ft. In. x 6 Ft. In. Area Rug
$201.60 | Bellacor
Hand-woven Red Ratford New Zealand Wool Shag Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
New Unique Coral Red & Midnight Blue Hand Knotted Heriz 8x10 Wool Area Rug H3497
BH Sun Inc
Kalora Mansoori Textured Red Squares Rug
Beyond Stores
Area Rug: Delray Jaden Multi 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Tris SO1 Pendant
Lightology
Sonneman | Axes-5 LED Pendant Light
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™