Are we considered homesteaders?

hoerlel(z5NY)September 26, 2005

I have been reading your threads for a while and I am curious to know whether you would consider us homesteaders. We moved from a city to a rural 55 acre 200 year old home that had no electricity or plumbing except for a sink pump. Our nearest neighbors are a mile away. We renovated and added onto our saltbox and the house is completely modern with all the conveniences.

I grow our own vegetables and collect berries and uses anything that I can that grows wild to use for crafting. My dh is a teacher and also runs his parents beef farm. I recently retired and I make our own bread, pastas. mustard, cereal, cheese and ice cream. I never buy cakes or cookies or anything that I can make myself. I sew, quilt and various other needle crafts.

I always thought it was because we enjoyed the solitude and nature and making our own foods. So, what would you consider us? I never heard of homesteaders before this forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedp2(7Al)

You sound awfully close to to me, But, old time homesteaders didn't have PC's. Lol gotta get rid of it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 9:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoerlel(z5NY)

I really think the inside toilet would go before my pc since the original outhouse is still present and functional, LOL!

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
How much land to homestead?
We are a young family and we are doing everything we...
michcabby
Did I ruin my sheepskin rug?
I got a sheepskin rug at the farmer's market a while...
peachymomo
tanning fish
I have seen a few sights talking about tanning fish...
dtrade83
How high of a fence could a deer jump over?
Anybody know? I hear they can jump/climb pretty high! Thanks!...
John_Blutarsky
raising meat and egg chickens
Processing your own chickens. We can't seem to find...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™