hopefully not too OT - old glass lid

PutyourshovelMay 31, 2011

We have been finding a lot of artifacts digging up a new garden, and I am trying to figure out the age range. One item was a Ball No. 10 glass canning jar lid. Does anyone know the range of years that these were produced? Our development was built in the 50s, but the original farmhouse is behind us, so is substantially older.

We felt a canning lid was a good luck charm for a future vegetable garden. I hope it bodes well for lots of future preserved harvests! :)

See photo link, but it's a basic Ball glass lid. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photo of jar lid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uaskigyrl(7)

That's a gorgeous lid and it definitely is good luck to find for a garden! I would try to make an ornament out of it and hang it up in your garden somewhere....maybe hanging from a little metal post.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 11:12PM
readinglady(z8 OR)

That looks like a glass insert (goes with a metal band) for a Ball Perfect Mason jar. The jars were made until the early 1960's and at various times were sold with the glass insert-metal ring combo, porcelain lined zinc lids and the standard two part flat and ring we use today.

I'm no collector; I don't know where in that chronology the glass inserts with bands stopped being made, but I'd guess in the 1950's. I have some Presto jars with those inserts of the same vintage.

Here's a picture of a Ball jar with a Presto glass lid insert. Kind of cool, really.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Jar with Glass Insert and Metal Ring

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 5:31AM
Putyourshovel

Thanks, it's cool to see how it worked!

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 9:29AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

I should have mentioned it's actually a three-piece affair as there's a rubber seal or gasket under the glass somewhat like the present-day Weck jars from Germany.

Obviously you can't get a seal with a glass lid as it's not going to "suck down" the way a metal flat will.

I'm guessing the original arrangement was a substitute for the rubber gasket + glass cap + wire bail arrangement on the older jars. The metal ring could be a little speedier if you were doing lots of canning.

Carol

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™