Ghost Pepper oil

cspetMay 16, 2011

I have a ghost pepper plant and am interested in trying to infuse some oils. Can anybody provide any direction? I am concerned about the "heat" in the pepper and am not sure about the amount of pepper, oil type, or a safe procedure.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

For fresh eating and refrigeration, right? They can't be canned.

We use cannola oil or olive oil and the basic instructions are 2 chili peppers to 1 cup of oil. We use our peppers dried but I don't know of any reason why you can't use fresh as long as you strain the pieces out (leaving them in increase the risks of botulism). The flavor just won't be as intense using fresh as with dried.

We saute the diced peppers in the oil over a very low heat - you don't want it to scorch or smoke - for about 20 mins. Pour it into a sterilized jar and let cool over night. Next day strain out all the solids, cap and keep in the fridge. Keeps for a couple of weeks. It may cloudy up a bit but clears up once it returns to room temperature.

How many peppers you use will all depend on how hot you want it to be. I'd start with 1 and see if you want it hotter next time.

There are lots of "infused oil" recipes on the web, some with additional spices etc. and as long as you recognize that they can't be safely canned for long term shelf storage, most any of them will work.

Dave

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 3:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda_Lou(SW Wa.)

You could can a marinated pepper, though. This one is safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated pepper recipe.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
tomato sauce problem
This may be a a little long so please bear with me....
jessam
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Is my turkey stock too thick to can?
I made stock two nights ago, last night I went to skim...
SaraBeth Williams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™