winter care for my hibiscus

tadpole40(Michigan)October 18, 2008

I have a hibiscus 4 foot tall with 3 trunks twisted together. I brought it in the house in its container before the first hard frost.. A week later the leaves turned yellow and dropped as well as most of the buds. There are a few leaves left and a few buds.. I heard you are supposed to trim them back..but I don't know how far and if I put it in the basement,do I water it and how often. I hate to lose this wonderful plant that has brought so much pleasure to my eyes all summer. Please

HELP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phyllisb2008(8 DFW)

Tadpole, I have hibiscus and sounds like your plant is in shock. I never trim mine and I keep it in the house by a window and it blooms off and on all winter then when spring gets here back out in the sun it goes. I water it only when the leaves get droopy. when I first bring it in leaves turn yellow and drops just leave it alone and it should be fine.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 3:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cavillac

I just bought a couple of Hisbiscus this year and don't know much of anything about them, to be honest.

From what I read here, it seems I need to bring them in during winter. Is that true or is that only if I want them to keep blooming. If I leave them in the ground, will they die or will they just not bloom again until spring?

thanks

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
baby herd a little over 3 months
Here is my little seedling herd a little over 3 months...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™