French Lavender Stems Turning Brown At The Bottom

elysemarieMay 24, 2013

Hi,

Today I bought 2 French Lavender plants. In the lighting of the greenhouse I noticed that the base of the stems were brown but it didn't seem too bad. When I got it home and had a good look at the plants, though, they looked a lot worse than I originally thought. Maybe it was the lighting or my optimism that blinded me from seeing it at first.

I've never grown lavender before. Is this something that is normal, that can be fixed with good care, or should I return them for some more healthy plants?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

Lavender is really more of a mini shrub, similar to sage and rosemary. It does develop woody base stems, and some can get rather thick. I think your plants look fine, but my lavender didn't survive the winter and it's newer to me so I'm not an expert on that one.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 11:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

As balloonflower says, Lavender is a shrub and will naturally go woody at the base. I'd get them out of those plastic pots asap. As you do it you can rub off any loose brown leaves and that will let more air into the base of the plants. They look to me as if they have been kept rather crowded, a little lacking in light and probably pushed on with fertilisers to get a larger plant for sale. The kinked and pale stems show that. They need to be grown airy and a little lean to toughen them up.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™