Chili Jam Help

ChiliGalMay 28, 2012

Hello there,

I am making a chili jam for the first time, and while I have made other jams this is my first time making one without fruit.

I am using very hot chillies that I grew, namely Trinidad Scorpion. These chillies are among the hottest in the world, so I will be using bell pepper and probably only two scorpion pods in 1.5L of jam - each pod has 280x the heat of a jalapeno, so this is going to make it very very hot indeed.

I'll be using the following recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chilli-jam-2692 (I will substitute more bell pepper) but I was wondering if adding lime juice for a twist would be a bad idea? Would this affect the setting process? I am using jam setting sugar.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

What we call pepper jelly is essentially the same as chilli jam. The high levels of sugar do "gentle" the heat considerably, though it seems that caution with Scorpions would be very wise! Over 1,000,000 Scoville units? Now that's hot!

I'm not sure whether you had in mind using some lime juice in lieu of a portion of the cider vinegar or adding lime juice as additional liquid.

If it's additional liquid it will change the ratio and may soften the set. It really depends on the amount. With the pectin sugar you do have some leeway, but it's definitely an experiment.

Carol

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 5:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ChiliGal

Thanks so much Carol!

I didn't even think to substitute some of the vinegar, but I will do just that and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 1:53AM
More Discussions
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™