I'm new

MyTwoAngelsSeptember 27, 2004

Hi everyone! My name is Erin. I am new to this forum but I just had to introduce myself. We are not currently homesteading but that is our goal in the near future (hopefully very near!). We lived in the city and got sick of it. We moved out to the country and loved it! But we hit some hard times and had to move back to the city to save some money. We are currently saving money to buy some land and then slowly get it to where we don't have to pay a mortgage or anything on it. It is very much our goal.

I have been lurking here but I wanted to introduce myself to you so that you all know that you have a lurker that wants to be a homesteader (is that a word??)! LOL I hope to learn even more from you all and so hopefully it will make it easier for us whenever we move out to the country.

We do already grow our own vegetables and some fruit here. We are on about 1/3 of an acre here but we don't have any animals. We have a place set up in the back for a chicken coop and where we can put a cow. We just have to do a few minor repairs and then we will be doing that!

Erin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilacfarm

Hi Erin...
This doesn't seem to be a very active website. I've only been checking on it for a week, but nothing new seems to be posted on homesteading or permaculture. Not much discussion.
Your goals are admirable.

Bookmark   September 29, 2004 at 8:28AM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Hi Erin...sounds like you are ahead of the game just because you have the real desire to homestead. Doing and trying is the important thing and it sounds to me like you and your husband are doing it the smart way...preparing...keep in touch and let us know how it goes....and what you are doing...

Bookmark   October 15, 2004 at 8:29PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Is there any product or industry you could practice on your current property that would get you started for when you move on to a bigger property? (Customers, experience, cashflow...)

Do you have small cow breeds available to you? (Like the Kerry cows or jersey.)I can't quite see a whopping great Friesian in a small barn, somehow.

Mad thought for the day: have you looked at wasabi as a cash crop? (Used for making/enjoying sushi.)

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 5:20AM
shawnee_2(z5KS)

Sounds like you have the same yearnings and determination to see your dreams through as do an amazing amount of people out here. Don't give up and don't settle. I too think it's great you have a large lot to garden with. My husband had a ranching/farming background but not a gardening yen. That changed 2 years ago with market gardening on the side and finally we found out after 25 years of marriage WHY we are compatible! Every year you will learn something different. Great luck, post often (this can be a slow forum)and we can all enjoy each other's experiences!!

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Deer Fencing - New 8' or Interior 4'
I have about 4.5 acres we want to enclose (tired of...
beartoothweb
Where are homesteaders going these days?
I was reading through some of the older forums and...
SunnieSue
making cheese..
Our cow is giving way too much milk, more than we can...
garden_knome
Home Made Yogurt Problem
I am making yogurt in a new Cuisinart Yogurt maker...
sjm1027
How high of a fence could a deer jump over?
Anybody know? I hear they can jump/climb pretty high! Thanks!...
John_Blutarsky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™