Hibiscus cannabinus question

msbattOctober 5, 2012

I have one that's a dark rose-red, but most of the pics Google turns up are white or pale yellow. Is mine perhaps a different species?

Also, different sites give conflicting info---some say it's an annual, some say a perennial. Will mine survive a winter in Zone 7B?

I got this one at my local plant swap this spring, from a lady who grew it from seed. Do I need to save seed, and start over in the spring, or can I take cuttings this fall. And if I can take cuttings, what's the best way to root them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RetiredFlorida(9)

msbatt,

Are you sure you have the plant name correct? I'm seeing something rather tall like bamboo when I do a search on that name. The dark rose red leafed plants do have a similar color flower that is normal.

Darren

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msbatt

No, I'm not---I got the plant from someone who grew it from seed she got in trade. It's also called October Rose hibiscus, but when I Google that I get H. radiatus, and a lot of the websites from THAT seem to confuse the two.

My plants doesn't have dark red LEAVES, just flowers---and leaves that look like marijuana. (*grin*)

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™