My Hibiscus is not doing well : (

teenytina78October 24, 2006

I just got my first Hibiscus and planted it inside. It flowered for about a month and then the leaves turned yellow and fell off. On about three to four of the branches the tips are slightly covered with spider like web. I don't see any bugs on it at all, shook it for white flies and did not find any. I sprayed Sevin on it twice. I watered the soil directly at first but it stayed moist all the time and these bugs were crawling in the soil so I started watering the bottom (I have a self watering pot). The bugs went away. The leaves are seemed to be "ripped" or have irregular sides that have smooth edges. I have a sun lamp on it for a few hours a day. Please help. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grancami

Hi teenytina,

Sounds like red spider to me. Very difficult to control so you may as well forget it. Red spiders produce a web but they are so tiny, you will need a magnifying glass to see them. They love dry conditions so if you see this again, you must mist regularly but it may already be too late.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Tina, did you toss the plant? Mites are pests, but they can be killed..If the tree isn't too large take to sink or shower and spray w/water..do this 3 times a wk. Also, buy a mister and spray daily..Add 2-4 drops of dish soap to water.
Since I don't use harsh chemicals I count on the dish soap which works fine. Toni

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
baby herd a little over 3 months
Here is my little seedling herd a little over 3 months...
merkity
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™