Pot size recommendations for Cilantro

treeinnj(6)May 18, 2008

I'm planting cilantro in pots on my back deck - and, knowing that cilantro has a long tap root & doesn't like to be transplanted - I was wondering, does anyone have a recommendation for the height of the pot to use?

I plan on making the diameter a fairly good size as I would like to continuously sow throughout the summer since (as I've read here & experienced last year from transplants) it seems to bolt so quickly.

Thanks & All the Best, Tree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

About 4 inches deep is fine. Plant successive groups of seeds. They can be planted quite close togther as you are harvesting the tender young leaves. On a deck, if its strong sunlight, the cilantro will not like that. Cilantro prefers cooler weather and mostly shade. I start it in 2"x2" pots and plant maybe 10-20 seeds in each pot. If I want seeds (coriander), I allow it to bolt and continue into flowering, then seed formation. There are a few coriander varieties that are slower to bolt. But usually once those nice parsely shaped leaves go, the plants send up thnner fern like leaves, which can also be harvested. After that, avoid the stems as they do get woody and tough.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™