Catnip- Questions on Propagation and Seeds Collecting

house_first_timer(9)June 20, 2007

How can I collect seeds from my catnips? Their flowers are blooming now, quite nice looking.

Also, I've tried to root some cuttings in water, 2 weeks or so have passes, still no new roots yet. So, what's the easiest way to root new cuttings?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

Let your flowers mature, turn brown, and dry. Then you can cut the stalks and shake seeds into a bag. The seeds are very small and take a while to germinate in the spring, but once you plant one plant, you wind up with a pretty good patch of it. It reseeds pretty well if you want to keep it in the same area(or pot). I have put large rocks around the smaller plants to keep neighborhood(and my own)cats from rubbing it into the ground. Once the plants get above the rocks, the cats can roll in it all they want and it will survive. If your cuttings won't root in water, you may try sticking new cuttings in a small pot of moist medium and keeping it in the shade for a while until you see new growth. You could also try it with and without rooting hormone and see which works best. I have never rooted catnip cuttings. I'm sure you will get responses from those that have.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 9:58AM
house_first_timer(9)

noinwi,

Thanks for your information, it helps a lot.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 10:37PM
indoorn00b(7b)

I wish this thread had continued.

I just took some catnip cuttings and now i'm dying to know what to do with them before they dry out!

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 6:32PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

My catnip have gone wild in an old garden spot.Think i've about 15 plants over there.They like full sun. As noinwi above said plant cuttings in soil in a pot. but i'd use fresh cuttings. Keep soil damp not soggy wet.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 2:04AM
sparrowhawk(z4 ME)

I've had success starting cuttings by just sticking them in moist soil in partial shade. You might have greater success using root hormone, or watering with a willow tea.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 1:22PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

The catnip growing wild here-and-there about my place is an effective self-seeder. I would try collecting seeds from the dry, brown flower heads of your catnip - as mentioned above. Plant those seeds this fall for plants next year. The seed grown plants are quite vigorous and strong. See link below.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow catnip

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 3:01PM
eric11000

I have placed cuttings from healthy catnip plants into sparkling mineral water. I have found in the past that cuttings (mint) that were dying would grow new leaves when placed in mineral water. Unfortunately I see no developement of roots after 1.5 weeks. The cutting are still healthy, but I am pretty sure they will not grow roots.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
Where can I get Equisetum arvense or Horsetail
I've been looking for Equisetum arvense or Horsetail...
forestelves
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™