Herb for Small Spot?

momma_s(9b, SZ14)June 21, 2010

Anyone have suggestions for a small herb that I can grow in a 1sq ft spot with soil 6 inches deep? I have a salad table that's growing basil, and have some space left...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noinwi

How about thyme? I grow it in a cinder block with about the same amount of soil.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Salad table - that was a new one for me. I had to look it up and in doing so found a nice list of possibilities, included below. I've been having loads of fun lately in garden-munch'n (my nibbles while in the veggie beds) on the golden purslane that reseeded itself. I actually haven't planted any in a couple years. I let some go to seed each year and it is happy to oblige me with munch'n the next year. It is very succulent and has a mild flavor.

Broccoli family-arugula, kale, mustard greens, radish, cress, broccoli raab, mizuna, kyona, komatsuna

Beet family- spinach, chard, orach, beets

Lettuce family- lettuces, endive, escarole, chicory

(Note: ÂDeer TongueÂ, ÂRed SailsÂ, ÂBronze ArrowÂ, ÂJerichoÂ, and oak leaf types are more heat tolerant)

Parsley family- chervil, parsley, cilantro

Mint family- basil, thyme, anise hyssop

Other crops- leafy amaranth (callaloo), sorrel, purslane, claytonia (minerÂs lettuce), corn salad (mache)

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Bushy Dill
I am an admirer of the the large and lush fresh dill...
chervil2
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™