Underplanting Meyer Lemon in container?

treya(NSW Aust)June 11, 2011

Hi All,

I have recently bought a Meyer Lemon (dwarf grafted onto flying dragon rootstock). I have bought a pot that is much larger than needed in the hopes of under planting with herbs, edible flowers or small edible greens. The pot is very deep and self watering so the soil at the top would not be wet. I was considering planting some lemon balm or lemon scented thyme underneath it, ideally I would like more than one type of plant, maybe some marigolds, a chili? Does anyone recommend any culinary herbs/companion plants that would grow well in combination with a lemon tree? The lemon is only currently about 2 feet tall. Anything to absolutely avoid? (location = Sydney, Australia)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren(z6PA)

Lemon balm eventualy gets tall and woody, although you could keep it clipped.

My personal (visual) preference would be two or three thymes, with at least one being silver thyme. I just think that would make a nice, frothy base for the tree, and if you are able to keep all outside they might perennialize.

Don't put pineapple sage in there--it would take over the whole pot, as would most mints. Oregano might work, though, if you like that.

If you like onion, you could also put in some chives, which eventually have edible flowers.

How wide is the pot?

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 1:55AM
treya(NSW Aust)

The pot is about 19" wide and 16" tall. (50cm W, 40cm H)

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 4:39AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Chives don't do well with heat - I don't know what your climate is like. Chives don't like the most southern reaches of the United States. If you are that warm or warmer, I would not try them.

I wouldn't personally do woody plants. They have deeper and woody roots. Would make for a tangled mess come transplant time.

I wouldn't personally underplant the lemon. But if you decide that is the way to go, I'd probably stick with something herbaceous, something with more shallow roots. Something temporary. Something that would trail over the pot rather than grow upwards. Maybe petunias, tradescantias, and so on.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 3:20PM
eibren(z6PA)

Nasturtiums?

Flowers, edible, trailing.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 10:08PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I absolutely wouldn't put anything else in the pot. It's not that big and the lemon needs all the nutrition it can get. I have a Meyer in a similar pot and it really can't be doing with any competition. That pot is definitely not any bigger than the lemon needs. Even without competition it will need regular refreshing with new compost at the top and also feeding with a Citrus food.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 5:05PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I agree with Flora and Fatamorgana. It won't be in the best interest of the lemon if you co-plant. ESPECIALLY with a plant that might attract unwanted mites and aphids!

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 11:07PM
andrewofthelemon(7b Central Arkansas)

I have lemon balm under one of my meyer lemons

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 4:19AM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Don't put anything else in the pot, which is too small for a lemon tree anyway. Citrus do not like competition around their roots.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
banana and lime mints
I would love to hear from anyone growing these and...
shane11
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Herbs for Salt Substitute
My doctor has put me on a low salt diet for my blood...
snappybob
Wanted: Herb seeds for SASE
Hello. I am trying to do a project with my daughters...
Brenda Lee
How should I dry my parsley leaves?
I have three large bunches of Parsley. How should I...
zzackey
Sponsored Products
Skyline 18 x 18 Pillow
$13.95 | Bellacor
Gervin Loveseat - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Royal Jelly Bath Bee Capsule
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
32 Gal. Perforated Waste Receptacle
Fifthroom.com
Three Glass Canisters
$350.00 | Horchow
eLIGHT LED Utility Light with Removable Wire Guard
Overstock.com
WAC Satin Nickel Xenon 36" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
New Hand Knotted Runner 3' X 9' Handmade Wool Persian Rug Tank Pattern Blue P795
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™