transplanted blue hibiscus - help!

bnewcolNovember 1, 2005

I transplanted a very healthy blue hibiscus from front yard into back yard a week or so ago...it is still in shock and leaves all curled up and dried. It is very moist soil back there, so there is no lack of water. Have I killed it? I hope not. Will it come back? Do they like consistently wet soil or does it need to dry out? I am in SoCal with very clay soil. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

It isn't enough to have the surrounding soil moist because the roots aren't there yet. Instead, the roots are still only within the rootball that you moved.

So, if you haven't watered that area, you need to.

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 2:00AM
bnewcol

I did water the rootball before it went into the hole and have been watering it consistently since. My concern was that maybe it has too much water? I didn't know if they were water sensitive. The area where it come from was not as wet as where I put it. Do they need a dryer soil?

Bookmark   November 2, 2005 at 11:29AM
gardeniarose(z10FLA)

Just a stab here, but since the new area has a lot of clay in the soil, it could be that it is too wet and also that the roots are not getting enough time to "breathe." If that is the case, root rot will set in.

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™