Bloom Images 2 *sticky please*

RetiredFlorida(9)November 2, 2012

Love this bloom at my MIL's home. Thought the barn added to the image....

Darren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RetiredFlorida(9)

Another from my MIL's garden.

Darren

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 10:31PM
merkity

Lots of great posts! i really like that double orange i saw. (forgot whose it was atm). still hoping to see my Path before the cold stops all growth...its a very close race.

the voodoo magic looks great too! My black dragon is still looking a bit iffy to me...have to gently nurse it along until i can figure out why it isn't happy.

havn't got a new shot to post but i do have an interesting one. I came home the other night to find that my Hula girl had dropped its flower - but it was still fully open on the ground.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 10:57PM
Gutzmek(6)

Darren,
The picture with the barn is excellent! Easily appreciated by those of us lacking artistic skill.
Merkity,
Be patient. The Sea Spray I got from HVH has yet to start a bud and was the plant damaged in shipping. Both it and VM are finally setting in and showing growth. This is nearly 2 months after I received them. My philosophy is treating them like kids. 'Provide a great environment to grow in. Don't over-react. Pamper when they are sick. And never over do it, or you end up with a "wimp" lol.
Below are some photos I took at our small botanical gardens of Hibiscus Moscheutos. Unfortunately I didn't take many of mine, or they are still babies. First is 'Robert Fleming'. It has similar leaves to tropicals. Bloom is dark red. The unusual fact is that it produces blooms all over the plant, and not just the tips like other hibiscus.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 11:53PM
Gutzmek(6)

Next is 'Crown Jewels'. Similar flower to above, but the leaf pattern is different. It has a 3-5 split. "Looks like cannabis leaf". It also has faint red stem work.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:00AM
Gutzmek(6)

I agree with Darren, we need an 'edit' button. Above is 'Lord Baltimore'. Below is 'Crown Jewels'. It has the 3-5 leaf split, but the stem work is red and the veins in the leaf are also red. Like 'Cranberry Crush', it has leaves with color effects.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:08AM
Gutzmek(6)

Last 'HM' is 'Summer Storm'. It has 3-5 leaf pattern, red stems and leaves. One of my favorite 'HM' that I don't have.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:12AM
Gutzmek(6)

Last one is an unlabeled Rose of Sharon single. It could easily be 'Minerva', 'Rose Satin'...etc.
Darren, your MIL's double looks like 'Lavender Chiffron'.
Ed

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:34AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Beautiful blooms. You guys are gonna hate me, I bought two more hibiscus today but no names. For $4 I'll make up a name! Yeah, small plants but gorgeous. I bought a single orange and a exquisite double pink that, well I post pics tomorrow. Exhausted, 250 miles round trip to a plant sale. Fun but tired.

Darren

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 8:21PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

This is my Mahogany Splendor's first bloom since being planted. Pleasantly surprised. They say the blooms get lost on this plant but I disagree, it is large enough to say "here I am"!

Thanks for the id on the Rose of Sharon Ed.

Darren

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 9:18AM
Gutzmek(6)

Darren,
That's a great looking plant and bloom. Seems I may have to keep an eye out for it next spring.
Ed

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:45AM
olddog1213(9a-b)

OK. What is this? Bloom is not quite open all the way but I was afraid it might look as good tomorrow.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 7:13PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

My guess would be LUNA RED HARDY HIBISCUS aka Hibiscus Moscheutos. Beautiful bloom.

Darren

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 7:41PM
Gutzmek(6)

Great looking plant and bloom. It is a perrenial Hibiscus Mosheutos. These are water lovers and even grow in standing water. It has a classic Crimson bloom that many have. It has obvious red stems and red veins in the leaves. The front leaf has the typical tear drop look, but I see what looks like split leaves behind. I do not own a 'Luna Red', but this looks more like 'Cranberry Crush'. I don't think 'LR' has red veins in the leaf. Olddog, can you send a picture of the entire plant? Might be easier to identify as there are only subtle differences in Hibiscus Mosheutos cultivars.
Ed

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:48PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

I've been watching the buds on this plant for weeks it seems, probably over a week.........feels like forever. I thought this plant was going to be yellow but much to my surprise and delight today, it was not.

As usual, I have no name, sorry.

Darren

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:29PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

This bloom today was a surprise too. Previously identified as White Wing it hard a noticeable and pleasant yellow tinge on the white petals.

Darren

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:30PM
olddog1213(9a-b)

Darren: Your top bloom that you thought would be yellow looks very much like a bloom that is being called Fort Myers. It seems to be a shade of yellow but has streaks of pink or light red running through it. It makes for a very pleasant bloom and I like it a lot.

As for the white wing, we all seem to be getting some kind of strange bloom this year. This is what keeps us excited about our plants as well as driving us all a little crazy at times.

Ain't it fun!

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 7:24AM
Gutzmek(6)

Darren,
I still like that first bloom. Been searching data bases for it. I agree with Olddog. Been some strange items this year. I am definitely winning the war against the bugs here, but the dry air and light change is producing more flowers on some plants, and others gave up. As long as they survive the winter I'm happy. If I get a flower or two is a bonus. They appear healthy, so I'm doing some pruning to get more surface area for blooms to grow next spring.
Ed

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:27PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Ed,

That above orange? That is an entirely different plant than the other orange single I posted (last thread?). That is a much hardier and thicker plant, bloom, I realize you can't tell from a photo is much larger. They have very similar blooms, both are gorgeous and thus my surprise to have two single oranges. This bloom, 3 images up, is the first to come off that plant.

The bloom in this post is from a very small plant I bought at a plant sale last weekend, $4 I think. Love it! No name attached. Love the way it almost looks like an Azalea.

Thanks Olddog for the ID.

Darren

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 9:00AM
merkity

with the colder weather - here is a shot of my Butterfly sporting a petaloid and only four pollen pads.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 2:37PM
wally_1936(8b)

RetiredFlorida I looked on the web for more information on that Mahogany Splendor but found only plants. So I presume they do not produce seeds? Someone was nice enough to send me a cutting but it seems to have been too tender as it finally died. If you can provide anymore information on this plant I would appropriate all the info you could provide. I enjoy all the great photos. Here in Texas where I live all my hibiscus have stopped blooming until next year. Again thanks for all your post.
Paul

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:44AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Paul,

Sent you an email. I have not seen or collected any seeds from my mahogany splendor yet. It propagates supposedly from pups and from cuttings well. I plant on starting some more cuttings this weekend.

This plant gets tall too. I have seen them over 8' tall.

Darren

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:45AM
Gutzmek(6)

Mom sent an image of White Wings. This is the house in California she inherited when my Grandmother passed. Makes me wish I lived there to grow plants this size. Must be 15 foot. Something to look forward to Darren.
Ed

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:41PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Ed,

I like this bloom so much I put it fairly close to the front of my home and probably 4' off my sidewalk. I'm not sure I'll let it get that big but it sure looks like it will be a healthy bush. Gorgeous plant thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:48PM
MimiGold

This bloom from my Cajun Spice was my favorite this year!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:58AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Beautiful bloom Mimigold! Gotta love the gradient color on this plant.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:39PM
merkity

My Butterfly today - surprisingly, my plants haven't gone into their hibernation stage yet.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:29PM
merkity

GRRRRR - this one is supposed to be my new "the path" unfortunately it has yet to actually open a flower - seems to be a very slow grower at the moment.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:32PM
merkity

A few seedlings I have going - one of them has developed some very interesting leaves....

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:49PM
coralred(Tropical)

Here are a few blooms I took while vacationing in Cameron Highlands.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 3:54AM
Gutzmek(6)

Wow, the thread is gaining momentum.
MimiGold, your Cajun Spice is awesome. I love Dupont hibs and have quite a few. And I plan to get more.
Merkity, I can't wait to see the hybrid blooms. I plan to constrict mine this winter to see the blooms as early as possible. Sea Spray is my only H-RS with splayed leaves, and it only has 3 toes. Curious to see what you get.
Coralred, great photos. Personal items of note. I'm a sucker for singles, and the double red is interesting.
Ed

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 3:04AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Merkity,

I have one of those 3 toed hibiscus. I was one of the first big box store hib's I bought late spring. It was failing because of the serious bug infestation. Once I got the bugs under control I potted it and now it is coming back with vigor but has not bloom. Will have to share a photo as soon as it blooms.

Coralred that double red is sweet, looks to be almost salmon.

As a side note, was at my MIL's this past weekend and got some 3in1 seeds for the "original" confederate rose...........ohyeahhhhhh! The plant is so big and they're having freezes right now I should have taken a cutting but I hate to be greedy.

Darren

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:38AM
coralred(Tropical)

Here are quite a few more from my visit to the Flower Dome at Gardens by the Bay.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 8:50PM
coralred(Tropical)

More single blooms for Ed.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:01PM
Gutzmek(6)

Such beauties, thanks coralred. Yes I am addicted to singles, and I plan to collect them all. Lol. I think I see a selection of Dupont and originals in the images. Seminole Pink, Creole Lady and maybe Bon Temps? You captured great pictures. Hope to see more. Something about the colors.
Ed1

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:01PM
coralred(Tropical)

Here are the last few pictures.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:09AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Coralred that double white is sweeet! The last image reminds me of the days when I grew a few roses and would get dozens of blooms on a bush. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Darren

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:28PM
Gutzmek(6)

I agreed Darren. I hope I can get pictures like the last two in the next few years. Good pruning and care will tell. My Brilliant Reds had endless flowers in this fashion last summer. I don't have problems pruning year or two old hibiscus, but its so had to start chopping away at the youngsters. Thanks Coralred. I can sit and stare at plants like that for hours. Something hypnotic about it.
Ed

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 9:32PM
merkity

My Path finally opened - its super slow growing. it only took about a week actually open the bloom.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:23PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Merkity,

That is beautiful. The glossy/shiny leaves remind me of my plant that takes forever to bloom too!

Darren

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 11:40PM
Gutzmek(6)

Great looking flower Merkity. My Voodoo Magic is the same. Got the second bloom today, and the colors are different. I know its the temp, humidity, etc.
Ed

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:20PM
merkity

nice voodoo!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 10:37PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Very little activity in my garden the past week in comparison to prior weeks. Weather has stabilized and the hibiscus are loving it, 60's to 80 degrees forecast for the coming week!

Had four plants blooming today but will share one that I saved from near death. I dug it out of the yard and potted it. Bloomed for the first time since and I have a double that I had forgotten that I bought! Oh yeah.

Darren

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:00PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

This is the first bloom off the latest addition to the yard! Ok, the leaves are prettier, but it is blooming.

More digging.....

Oh, it is the Fire Queen.

Darren

Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:46AM
Gutzmek(6)

Got an early present. Red Riding Hood has two new blooms, and one has grey/silver rays near the eye. Gotta love it.
Ed

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 2:34PM
Gutzmek(6)

My trees have their own ornaments. Happy Holidays everyone.
Ed

This post was edited by Gutzmek on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 19:10

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 2:12PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Simply GORGEOUS, everyone - WOW is all I can say!!!!

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 2:50PM
fpnmf

Here is one of my Panama Reds that I got off the bargain bench..They said it rarely blooms...

Craig

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 8:30PM
Mike.Gayner

This is my first hibiscus - a Fijian variety. It's summer here in Tauranga, New Zealand and this is my first bloom.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 4:32PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

fpnmf you plant looks very much like my mahogany splendor and mine is a prolific bloomer. This is a great hibiscus, blooming all along the stems and grows extremely well from cuttings.

Mike Gaynor, you're off to a fantastic start! Gorgeous bloom. Be careful, collecting these is .............rather addicting.

Darren

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 6:17PM
Gutzmek(6)

Couldn't agree with Darren better. I looked and simple research show to be different, but visually they look the same. Either way, I will get one or two next year. These are must haves for perennial hibiscus growers like me.
Mike, that's a great healthy plant. And as Darren said, be careful, lol.
Ed

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 12:15AM
Gutzmek(6)

Bump

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 9:50PM
shuffles_gw

And we all love Vodoo Magic! At the time, I teased my wife about buying a "brown flower"! I have reformed since then. It echoes the brown German Iris of my youth.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 8:37PM
hibiscusmaniac

Hardy Hibiscus - Blue River ll

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 2:16PM
hibiscusmaniac

Spice Cake

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:51AM
hibiscusmaniac

High Voltage

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 9:42AM
hibiscusmaniac

Saffron Moon

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 11:25AM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Gorgeous blooms Hibiscusmaniac! Can't make up my mind which one I like more, the blue river or spice cake. Super sweet!

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 5:27PM
hibiscusmaniac

Ms President

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 1:05PM
merkity

Here is a pic of my newest plant - Burnt Saffron

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 4:41PM
hibiscusmaniac

Canary Song

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 12:41PM
hibiscusmaniac

Wild Grape

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:59AM
hibiscusmaniac

Cindy's Heart

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:47AM
hibiscusmaniac

Rainbow Sherbet

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 11:51AM
hibiscusmaniac

Expect Miracles

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 1:45PM
hibiscusmaniac

Electric Pizzaz

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:24PM
hibiscusmaniac

Heartthrob

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:00AM
hibiscusmaniac

High Voltage

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 11:56AM
merkity

a couple recent blooms..
this one is my path...the bush isn't very happy - have to figure out why still...

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 1:37PM
merkity

hot ticket

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:55PM
hibiscusmaniac

Chorus Line

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:28AM
hibiscusmaniac

Merci Beaucoup

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:47AM
hibiscusmaniac

Canary Song

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:03PM
merkity

Burnt Saffron

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 12:11PM
hibiscusmaniac

Tahitian Princess

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 2:51PM
merkity

I like the Tahitian princess, may get one at some point.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 4:43PM
hibiscusmaniac

June's Dragon

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 1:06PM
hibiscusmaniac

Radiant

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 1:53PM
hibiscusmaniac

Daisy Mae

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:21PM
hibiscusmaniac

Heaven Scent

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 11:34AM
hibiscusmaniac

Grape Cola

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 1:19PM
kathi_mdgd

WOWSER,you guys have some gorgeous plants!!! I have some hibiscus,but I never knew there were so many other different kinds.Can't pick just one.!!
Kathi

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 7:53PM
hibiscusmaniac

Garden Pleasure

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:52AM
hibiscusmaniac

Acapulco Gold

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:42PM
hibiscusmaniac

Cloud Soft

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 12:34PM
hibiscusmaniac

Cindy's Heart

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 12:34PM
hibiscusmaniac

High Voltage

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 3:33PM
hibiscusmaniac

Climax

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 2:16PM
hibiscusmaniac

Berried Treasure

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 11:53AM
hibiscusmaniac

White Lightning

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 12:00PM
hibiscusmaniac

Radiant

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 11:01AM
hibiscusmaniac

Sunny Day

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 11:12AM
Gutzmek(6)

Hibiscusmaniac,
May I suggest you start a new string for bloom images? At 91 responses to the original, the majority of members may ignore this one.
Ed

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:19PM
acgt1962(8)

Beautiful!!!!i just got started with 3 but I can hope to get the beauties that you all have shown here!! I love this forum!!!!

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 3:48AM
More Discussions
Main stem brittle, dark brown and withered but the Roots are ...
Hi. So my the stems of my hibiscus have all withered,...
sammyyummy
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Can I plant perennial hibiscuses in NY (zone 6)?
I am wondering if I can plant perennial hibiscuses...
quilttrack47
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Sponsored Products
Luceplan | Costanza Table Lamp
$545.00 | YLighting
Sure Grip Laundry Print
Grandin Road
Tropic Bloom Corded Outdoor/ Indoor Large 28-inch Floor Pillow
Overstock.com
Floral Butterfly 5" x 7" Frame
$2,850.00 | Horchow
Hemsley Garland
Grandin Road