Homesteading for $9k

ddsnowNovember 29, 2010

Probably looking for less than an acre. What would be the best place? Thinking I can get a camper for ~2k, use rain capturing for water or have a stream nearby. Building a composting toilet doesn't seem to hard either ~$500. Then taxation from the land would be ~$2500 for 50 years. Not sure the cost of getting a good harvest started.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Your life will be easier and more productive if you move to a place with a good growing season.

It's probably cheap to rent an acre or two where you can park a trailer and live on the land. Get a long term lease so you won't lose your work.

If you are going to live on captured rain water, you'll have to be where it rains a lot and rains all year. It would cost a bundle to have enough water storage to last you for months on end, especially if you need to irrigate. To me, that the southeast corner of the country. Plus there is along growing season there.

I have my doubts about being able to live with out some sort of sewer handling system. I suspect the health department will be down on you. Gray water discharge is illegal in a lot of places.

    Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 5:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Had a thought:

I just saw some ads for acre lots in Bonanza Oregon for $5,000 each, seller carrying paper. That's about 20-30 miles east of Klamath Falls. Weather is good, area is gorgeous. Klamath Falls has good shopping and medical and people to purchase your produce.

I know there are cheap acre lots east of Chiloquin Oregon, too, out along the Sprague River. There is a tiny town called Sprague River where land is cheap.

It freezes in the winter, but not too badly. Air and water are clean, scenery is gorgeous, people are decent.

You probably going to need to put in a septic system in order to get permission to live in a travel trailer on the land. If you like hard work, you can build the tank out of cinder block and the new leach line stuff is a snap (literally, it snaps together, no drain rock involved) to install, once the trenches are dug, and they can be dug by hand.

Klamath County allows old mobile homes (1970's and older). You can get old mobile homes for free in the next county up (Deschutes County) because they aren't legal in Deschutes County and can't be moved to a new location.

    Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 5:29PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Where are homesteaders going these days?
I was reading through some of the older forums and...
First step to homesteading
Hello Everyone, I was browsing through Youtube watching...
buying land in premature stages?
Hi, I was looking online for land to buy and ran across...
Cast Iron Cookware...Cleaning Swap Meet Findings
Yesterday I picked up several cast iron skillets from...
Did I ruin my sheepskin rug?
I got a sheepskin rug at the farmer's market a while...
Sponsored Products
Veneto Luce Polished Chrome 24-Inch Wide LED Round Clips Flush Mount with Lace G
FJ Quattro Piccola LED Pendant
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting Pro-Series 9 in. Xenon Brushed Bronze Under Cabinet
$73.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Floral Sage Rug (9' x 12')
Set of 6 Heavy Basket Lamp Shades 5x5x4.5 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
ELK Lighting 69043-1 Schoolhouse Pendant - 9W in. Silver - 69043-1
$168.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™