Hibiscus Repot now?

jane__ny(9-10)December 16, 2011

I moved this plant with us from NY where it spent the winters indoors. It always lost its leaves after getting spider mites. Would recover and re-leaf, I would move it outside in June where it bloomed all summer.

We moved to Florida 3 months ago and I put the plant outside in partial shade. It has almost doubled in size and flowers constantly. It has also outgrown its pot and requires water daily, sometimes 2x a day or it wilts.

It is now December and its obvious it did not go dormant.

Does anyone know what type of hibiscus this is? Can I repot this plant now? It will need root pruning as the root ball is very compressed. Or - should I wait until spring?

Thanks,

Jane

Its the plant on the left in the pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

It's a tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensi). 'Painted Lady'.
If your zone (9-10) is correct, the hibiscus won't go dormant and yes, you can repot it now. You can probably plant it in the ground come spring.
Barb

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 7:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jane__ny(9-10)

Thank you for the ID. Seems to be quite prolific as it blooms constantly and keeps sending up shoots from the base. It is supposed to be a tree-hibiscus.

The pot is also filled with petunias which were growing near the hibiscus, last summer in NY. They obviously dropped seed in the pot. I don't have the heart to pull them out. They bloom and look so pretty.

Pot of petunias which left some seed in the hibiscus pot. The warm Florida weather caused them to sprout and flower.

Jane

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™