Shade Plants and Hedges

mike80July 26, 2014

I am living in Palm Beach County Florida and currently am looking for any suggestions on plants, preferably flowering, that do well in partial to full shade. I am looking for plants to plant between trees and anything that attracts bees, butterflies, or hummingbirds would be even better. Native plants get priority, but any non-invasive is ok. I have lots of room so variety would be nice.

I also have some spots left in my perimeter hedge. I would like plants that get 6'-8' tall and require minimal care. Currently I have alot of firebush and wild coffee. The conditions for a the hedge tend to be full sun.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Porterweeds are great butterfly attractors for the sunny spots. So is Golden Dewdrop, which is in partial shade in my backyard & thriving. Both have purple flowers.

Allowing wild passion vibe to grow up into the bushes will ensure Zebra longwings & Gulf fritillaries hang around to lay eggs.

Floridata.com has a Plant Tag List so you can find plants for FL that attract butterflies...

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata.com - butterflies

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saintpfla

I have shade in the front of my yard and prefer flowers as well. It is a challenge to meet this issue.

I have found that Orange Justica and Fire Spike will both work in shade and flower.

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' PREFERS shade. I actually have it in my window boxes.

Also, Crossandra 'Orange Marmalade', loves shade and I pair it with the Mona Lavender...looks great together!

Shrimp Plants love shade and hummingbirds love this plant as well.

Florida Gardenia - which is a faux gardenia - can be hedged. It does tend to get 'leggy' and will need to be cut back at least once a year to keep it thick.

Ditto on the Porter Weed....I planted it in the front yard shade and also have it in the bright sun of the backyard. It seems to do well in both spots - which was a surprised to me. Same amount of flowers - which for me, is just a few on the stem. I've never been able to get it to bloom 100% on the flower stem....

Hope these suggestions help!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™