How to get my hibiscus blooming good again

parrothead_fa(z10 FL)December 10, 2006

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum, wish I'd tuned in to it a while back. I have 3 standard hibiscus shrubs, the red or peach variety you get at most garden centers in 3 gal sizes. The first year or two, they bloomed like crazy. Lately, I've been getting a lot of growth, but not many blooms. I have had to cut them back severly 3 times this year, because they keep getting so tall they obscure the lights on the outside of the house. I don't want them to be real short, but 6' plus is a bit rediculous!

Is there a way I can train them to remain a bit shorter, 3-5 ft would be ideal, and produce a profusion of blooms? They are just regular garden variety hibiscus, but look so lovely when they are covered with 6" flowers. The sprinklers water them every other day, and I fertilise them with a 12-6-9 fertilizer twice a month. We are in zone 10 in south Florida. Any input would sure be appreciated.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

Dave,
Since hibiscus bloom on new growth, pruning, although necessary sometimes, will stop that branch from blooming. It takes about 3 months for enough new growth to be produced for new blooms.
I take it you want to keep the standard shape. You'll have to prune it back quite a bit, so that when it does recover from the pruning and start to bloom, it's still a size you want.
What some people do, so that they can still enjoy blooms while keeping the plants size under control, is to prune 1/3 of the branches, leaving some of the branches alone to keep blooming. When the pruned branches bloom again, then they prune back another 1/3...etc.
Hope this helps,
Barb

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 6:27PM
pennysue(7)

Since I pruned all of my plants back does this mean they won't bloom at all this year, or just how long will it take to recover? I wish I'd found this site last year. I'm a fairly new gardner and learning through trial and error has cost me some beautiful plants and lots of dollars.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 1:33PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Three months of good, bright light should be enough to start getting flowers.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 5:41PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Water with 5 gallons of water and 5 tablespoons of Epsom salts monthly. Every 3 months, add 2 tablespoons super phosphate to the water. They will bloom like crazy.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 11:57PM
rcn10ac

i cut my Hibiscus back to 3" from the ground last winter. Stalks were about 3/4" round. I waited. All of a sudden in mid spring up shot new shoots.
Now it about 5' tall , very heavy on it's self.
No blooms yet. I water heavy regularly, here it is mid June & no blooms!
Should I tie the tree up to a post or let it be on its own?
Also, will I get blooms this year due to cutting all the way back last winter???
Please help someone!!

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 12:11AM
audrey_gardener

I'm new at this, but from what I've read, certain Hibiscus species (the rose-mallow and Moy grande) do not bloom till June, so I would be a little more patient and it will probably bloom in the next couple of weeks if you leave it along.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 1:25AM
jeromeb

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 1:44PM
jeromeb

I was not getting any blooms after placing the pot back outside. So I repoted it in a larger pot in april I also added time release fertilizer. No blooms yet. I am taking the plant back inside. Will it ever bloom again.

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 1:49PM
jeromeb

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 1:55PM
wally_1936(8b)

They all love food and water. My Red Texas Star Hibiscus will be blooming until our weather gets too cool. Then I hope my Confederate Rose Hibiscus kicks in and blooms.

Bookmark   September 18, 2014 at 12:45AM
kathi_mdgd

Wally,do you give the Texas star the same treatment as your other hibiscus?? I have one also and this year it didn't bloom as much.
Kathi

Bookmark   September 19, 2014 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Searching for Hibiscus Bloom Holder
I'm looking for a glass tabletop "vase" designed...
mspam
Help with Hibiscus
Hi! I recently bought a bunch of hibiscus on clearance...
sgreer13
Searching for a 'Bloom Holder'....
Greetings, Does anyone know where I might find a hibiscus...
gardenlady48
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Main stem brittle, dark brown and withered but the Roots are ...
Hi. So my the stems of my hibiscus have all withered,...
sammyyummy
Sponsored Products
Economy Light Filtering Cellular Shades. Free Samples and Shipping!
$61.00 | Blinds.com
Ball Inspired Chair-Red - Cashmere Wool
IFN Modern
Harrogate Rug 4' x 6' - IVORY
$1,399.00 | Horchow
Multi and Green 18-Inch Decorative Pillows Set of Two
$53.95 | Bellacor
Audrie Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink - White
Signature Hardware
White Stripe 500-TC Sheet Set
$54.99 | zulily
Darlee Series 60 Cast Aluminum 21 x 42 Rectangular Coffee Patio Table