I need help with my hibiscus

steinmetzj24December 5, 2012

So my grandma passed away and her hibiscus plant died
My uncles and aunts did not take care of it. Is there anyway
I can save it?It was her favorite plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olddog1213(9a-b)

Hi Steinmetzj24: A lot of people on this site are very well versed in raising Hibiscus but I'm afraid we need some more information.
If the plant did indeed "die" then I know of nothing that can be done to bring it back.

Can you post a picture and/or give us some more data.
Hibiscus are very sturdy plants and can recover from some "hopeless" situations.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 7:26PM
Gutzmek(6)

Steinmetzj24,
Sorry to hear about your Grandmothers passing. If the plant is indeed dead, I suggest starting a new one to 'carry the torch'. With your location, a RS Hibiscus would require a lot of work. I suggest a 3 yr old or more Syriacus Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon). They can be planted in the ground, and if cared for in the early years will produce a multitude of beautiful flowers that attract humming birds, butterflies, and bees. Some varieties will remain small, but others will grow into small trees.
Ed

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:03PM
wally_1936(8b)

There should be enough members who could provide you with a cutting of what ever plant you lost. You would need to post a photo of what you would like if that is what you desire.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 12:39PM
denise12

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 6:32AM
denise12

Hi, I left my hibiscus plant out in the sun porch in the middle of winter. The leaves dried up and are crunchy. I moved it back into the house where it is warmer. Is there any chance it can come back?

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:15AM
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

Denise 12: Yes! Don't give up hope just yet. Now that you have warmed it up I would scratch the bark and see if any of the green cambium layer (just below the bark) is appearing?...if it is you are in luck. If you see any green just wait a couple of weeks and you should start seeing sprouting of green tips at the nodes along the trunk and branch stems. Hopefully all will be OK. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
help with hibiscus
My hibiscus blooms all winter inside. When I take...
marthavm
Can I plant perennial hibiscuses in NY (zone 6)?
I am wondering if I can plant perennial hibiscuses...
quilttrack47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™