How to harvest nettle leaves

CecilWesterhofJune 13, 2013

A little while ago I wanted to make nettle soup. For thee you can use the whole plant, but for soup you can only use the leaves. (I do not put it through the blender.) I wanted to harvest a kilo of leaves, but it was quit labour intensive, so I quit at a third of it. Is there a smart way to harvest the leaves fast?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Never done it myself other than as a very bad childhood experience. So for me it wouldn't be worth the suffering. :-)

But I did find several how-to articles on the web (linked below). But from browsing through them it seems it is just lots of labor intensive picking (with gloves and long sleeved shirts to avoid the sting burn).

Here is a link that might be useful: How to harvest nettles

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:26PM
myfamilysfarm

Be sure to wash well with soap and water as soon as possible.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
CecilWesterhof

digdirt: Thanks. I'll look into them. But properly I'll limit myself to thee then.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:36PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Cecil - you need to pick them early in the year when they are no more than about 25cm tall. Wear gloves and pick the whole stems. At that time of year you will probably be wearing thick clothes anyway! You do not need to remove the leaves if the plants are young and tender. Later in the year they are too tough and fibrous. It is too late to pick nettles for eating now unless you can find a patch which has been cut back and has regrown. A kilo of leaves will make a huge amount of soup! This recipe only needs 400 g. It does say to pick off the leaves but I don't bother since you are going to blend the soup anyway. I would not wash them in soup and water either , just thoroughly rinse in water. I don't see how you could ever get the taste of soap off them and presumably you will be picking them from a place you know has not been sprayed.

(BTW - 'tea'.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettle soup

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™