Potatoes...french fries in a jar...clarify blanching

jill2761(Southeast Texas)June 22, 2013

In a previous thread on canning french fries in a jar, Digdirt mentioned he didn't blanch the potatoes for this method.

He said..."This is one of those situations where you choose. You are supposed to blanch, yes. Did I? Yes with the first batch. No, with the second batch."

Since it is recommended to hot pack potatoes for canning, could I get some clarification on this? Did you just cut the potatoes like french fries and put them raw pack in the jars covered by boiling water? Or did I misunderstand what your process was? I've done the French Fries in a jar before and want to do them again. If they can be done safely without blanching I would love it!

Thanks...

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: French Fries in a Jar

This post was edited by jill2761 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 10:18

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Jill - the simple answer is I fudged it. :-)

Keeping in mind that with that particular batch they were well aged spuds already (store-bought and over winter stored) so the enzyme-stopping and starch conversion aspects of blanching was nullified by time. That leaves only the heating aspect.

While not approved, I decided that given the narrow size and loose packing (both allow for fast heat penetration) in the jars and the hot boiling water the processing in the PC would be sufficient. My choice.

What would be a better option probably would be to make the fries and steam blanch them for 2-3 min. before filling the jars.

Dave

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

Thank you for the clarification. I was pretty sure I understood all the safety aspects, but wanted to confirm. When potatoes are cut small (or narrow), even the 2-3 minute blanch time seems like too much. At least with the blanching, some of the starch is removed when they are drained. I'll think on this some more before deciding. Appreciate the response. I'm trying to save time, extra steps and eliminate some of the mess without compromising safety. :-)

Jill

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Thanks Harvest Forum
I didn't grow up canning and learned relatively late....
gardengalrn6
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™