Bugs eating my basil plant

sandi149(7)June 26, 2010

I have some nice basil plants that seem to be the food for some type of bug....every morning when I go out on my terrace to water the basil, I see that the leaves have holes in them. I have seen this bug and it's a light green, looks sort of like a small grasshopper. I had read somewhere that making a mixture of garlic powder and water and spraying the leaves would get rid of the bug but so far no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get rid of these creatures as they are ruining my lovely basil.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The insect you saw could be a small grasshopper or it could be a katydid. Both of them feed on plants and both start out as very small individuals.

I've had good results using neem oil on my plants. It acts as an antifeedant for those pesky plant pests. It might not kill them outright, but does keep them from chowing down. Very little collateral damage to beneficial critters.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 11:42AM
tsmith2579(7B)

Get a 2 liter cola bottle, fill it with hot water, drop in 4 cloves of smashed garlic, put it in the hot summer sun and let it sit a week. Strain out the garlic but keep the water. Use a cup of garlic water and 3 cups water in your bug sprayer and spray the plants. That will get rid of the critters.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 6:59PM
tiffschorn

I had the same problem with my basil plants. I tried several methods involving insecticidal soap and even chili powder that did not help. One day I went out of town and put a bunch of potted plants around my basil (above soil) to make it easier for my neighbor to water my plants, solved the problem completely. I happened to have several papaya plants growing in milk jugs. I was out of town for a month, when I came back the basil was perfect.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:29PM
gjcore

If you choose neem oil it's best to keep your plants out of the sun for a while. So spraying around sunset is best.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Small ant like insect in chamomile flower
Hello dear friends This is first time I am growing...
saoodhashim
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™