Mini Sweet Peppers - can they be pickled/canned?

robin_d(8b Tacoma WA)June 13, 2008

I have most of a bag of "Mini Sweet Peppers" from Costco that I need to use up before they go bad. The package doesn't state the variety(s), but they are a mix of red, yellow and orange sweet peppers, rather thin walled.

Would these be good pickled and canned? If so, can you share your favorite recipe?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Because they are delicate and thin walled, normal BWB canning with turn them to mush. I can the salad bar type pepperoncini peppers which are also very thin walled, and I use a no heat vacuum process instead. I pierce each pepper first so each gest full strength vinegar inside. Its veen very successful for me, but would require vacuum tight vessles, a good quality vacuum pump with moisture trap, as well as the Food Saver adapter that can attach to the top of canning jars (with a lid in place). My peppers from 2 years ago are just as crisp as if they were made weeks ago. They have the same texture as the ones you buy in stores.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 11:57AM
readinglady(z8 OR)

It would be easier to freeze them. It's not very energy efficient to can such a small amount and with those peppers freezing will yield a better result. Clean, cut into strips or large dice then freeze loose on a lined or nonstick tray or sheet. Once they're solid bag them up.

These will soften when thawed but work fine in casseroles, braises, soups etc. They'll retain a fresh flavor and better texture than canning.

Carol

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 12:24PM
melva02(z7 VA)

Robin, I bring those peppers to work and eat them as snacks. They only have a few seeds right up near the stem so I just bite into them and stop when I get to the top. I need things like this to keep me out of the vending machine. :-)

If you want to freeze them as Carol suggests, you could just cut them across into rings, and they'll be perfect for pizza (which would soften them anyway).

Melissa

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 10:19PM
robin_d(8b Tacoma WA)

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I will just freeze them. :-)

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 3:05AM
More Discussions
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
serrano peppers everywhere
I have so many serrano peppers this year it's amazing....
prairie_love
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Katie's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
I made her soup the other day and I am here to tell...
gardnpondr
Sponsored Products
Peri Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Blue Matte Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Desert Sand Textured Silk Mini Pendant Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
LBL Lighting | Vigi Pendant Light
$360.00 | YLighting
Revere Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Abstract Hats & Pants Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo